If your screen goes black each and every time you start playing a new game, it’s time to find a workaround. Well, in that case, maybe the troubleshooting solutions from below will come in handy.
The fixes listed in this tutorial are compatible with the Windows 10 system and focus on addressing any possible software-related issues that might cause the black screen while you try to play your favorite games.
How to fix black screen issues when playing games
- Solution 1 – apply any pending Windows updates.
- Solution 2 – update graphic drivers.
- Solution 3 – manually reinstall graphic drivers.
- Solution 4 – check advanced power options.
1. Apply latest Windows 10 updates
If you get the black screen while playing games, it might be because of an pending update. The update itself can cause the issues or certain outdated software might be the reason for this behavior.
Either way, before doing anything else make sure your system is running on the latest Windows 10 build:
- On your computer press the Win+I hotkeys.
- This will bring System Settings on your PC.
- From there click on Update & Security.
- Under Windows Update (located in the left panel of the main window) make sure that there isn’t an update waiting for your approval.
- If it is, apply the available updates and restart your computer.
- Try to play your games now and verify if the black screen problem persists or not.
2. Update graphic drivers
The black screen might be caused by an outdated graphic driver or by a corrupted graphic driver file. If that’s the case, then you can fix this problem by updating your drivers:
- On your computer right-click on the Windows start icon.
- From the list that will be displayed click on the Device Manager entry.
- Now, from Device Manage find your graphic drivers.
- Right-click on your drivers and select ‘update’.
- Restart your system in the end.
3. Manually reinstall the drivers
In some situations automatically update your graphic drivers still leaves the corrupted files unresolved. Well, for resolving this particular problem, manually reinstall the drivers on your PC:
- Access Device Manager again.
- Access your graphic drivers and right-click on each entry.
- This time select ‘uninstall’.
- Next, access Control Panel – right-click on the Windows Start icon and select ‘Control Panel’.
- In Control Panel switch to Category and click on Uninstall, under Programs.
- Find any associated entry with your graphic card and uninstall these programs.
- When done, restart your Windows 10 system.
- Now, access your manufacturer official web page, download the latest version of the graphic drivers that are compatible with your Windows 10 device and follow on-screen prompts for completing the installation process.
4. Check advanced power options
- Access Control Panel as described above.
- In the Search field enter Power Options and access the entry with the same name.
- From your current Power Plan click on Change plan settings.
- Next, click on Change advanced power settings.
- From the next window extend PCI Express.
- And make sure that State Power Management is turned off.
The steps listed above should help you fix black screen while playing games on Windows 10.
If you are still experiencing this problem, verify your CPU / GPU temperature and even consider in increasing the fan speed.
Of course, in the end don’t forget to share your own experience with us and do tell how you eventually managed to address this issue in order to help others too.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Here’s a solution for Windows 10 black screen login issues
- Fix: Opera black screen issues
- How to fix Mozilla Firefox black screen issues
- How to fix a black screen of death on Xbox One