Civilization VI is a great and challenging game. In it, you’ll need to upgrade your army, industry, and economy all at the same time while keeping an eye on your borders because you never know when an enemy might attack.
This strategy game allows you to grow your individual civilization from a small tribe to a large nation able to control the entire planet. As interesting as Civilization VI may be, the gaming experience is sometimes severely limited due to various issues that include game crashes, loading errors, control bugs and more. The good news is that most of these bugs can be fixed.
Fix Civilization VI bugs
Game won’t start due to missing .dll
1. This is an issue with Visual C++ Redistributable. First, uninstall the versions you already have.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Go to Microsoft’s page and download the latest Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. Download both versions (x64 and x86).
If you’re still having issues on your .dll files or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as missing or corrupted .dlls, malware and hardware failure.
Civilization VI won’t start: no specific error message
- Install the update for Universal C Runtime in Windows (for Windows 7, 8.1 users)
- Reinstall Visual C 2015 Redistribute externally
- Update Windows
- Install KB2919442 and KB2919355 (for Windows 8.1)
How to fix audio bugs
Most audio issues can be solved by turning down your sound quality. Go to Sound in Control panel > select your playback device > hit Properties > go to Advanced and lower the quality.
Civilization VI progress won’t save
This bug is most likely caused due to the account you are signed in with. Make sure you are signed in with your original user account, not your email account. Make sure both your user account and email account have the necessary privileges to allow you to save your game progress.
1. Go to My Documents > Sid Meier’s Civilization VI folder > create a new “My Games” folder.
2. Right-click the folder > select the Properties button.
3. Go to the Security tab > click Edit > Add to add a user > enter your full email address in the box and hit “Check name” so the game recognizes the email account. Perform this action on both your “My Games” and “Civ 6” folders to make sure the email account has the necessary privileges to the Civilization 6 folder.
How to turn off unit cycling
When you have large numbers of units to control, especially when at war, you definitely don’t want the game to auto-cycle to a worker on the other side of the map. Civilization VI automatically jumps to the next unit that is available, which is extremely annoying because the next unit is generally located on the other side of the map. Many gamers lost battles because they accidentally moved units in the wrong direction when the camera jumps but doesn’t immediately switch units.
1. Go to Documents/My Games/Sid Meier’s Civilization VI/User
2. Open Options.txt > press Ctrl+F “auto cycle“.
3. That should take you to the line: ;Does the selection auto cycle to the next available unit? (0 = no, 1 = yes) AutoUnitCycle 1
4. Change the last character, the 1, to a 0. Save the changes and your problem is solved.
Fix: AI’s starting positions are too close to your camp
1. Go to SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier’s Civilization VIBaseAssetsMapsUtility> open AssignStartingPlots.lua.
2. Find the line with local iMaxStart = GlobalParameters.STARTDISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION or 9. It should be in the function AssignStartingPlots:_MajorCivBuffer(plot).
3. Edit the number at the end to the number of tiles you want minimally between starting plots. Change it to 20 or above.
4. Go to GlobalParameters.START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION can be found in SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier’s CivilizationVIBaseAssetsGameplayData/GlobalParameters.xml. Set this value as well, setting it to 20 or above.
Fix: Stop AI’s bugging offers
1. Go toSteamsteamappscommonSid Meier’s Civilization VIBaseAssetsGameplayData/GlobalParameters.xml file.
- <Row Name=”AI_TURNS_BETWEEN_FRIENDSHIP_OFFERS” Value=”5″ />
- <Row Name=”AI_TURNS_BETWEEN_PEACE_OFFERS” Value=”3″ />
- <Row Name=”AI_TURNS_BETWEEN_TRADES” Value=”10″ />
How to rotate the camera
Simply hold ALT and then click and drag in the desired direction.
How to change camera movement to WASD
You can edit the DefaultKeyDownHandler and DefaultKeyUpHandler functions in the Civilization VIBaseAssetsUIWorldInput.lua file. Change the Keys.VK_<direction> to Keys.W keys.A etc. Change both functions or you’ll scroll forever.
How to make the tooltips appear faster
1. Open C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier’s Civilization VIBaseAssetsUIToolTips
2. Open the PlotToolTip.lua in Notepad++ and go to line 32 (local TIME_DEFAULT_PAUSE :number = 1.1;).
3. Change the 1.1; at the end to 0.2; The Tooltip will now appear sooner.
4. In the same folder, open PlotToolTip.xml.
5. Change line 4 (). Change the number in Speed=”4″ to whatever you want: higher = faster.
How to increase the font size
1. Go to steamSteamAppscommonSid Meier’s Civilization VIBaseAssetsUIFonts
2. Go to Civ6_FontStyles_EFIGS.xml and open the file
3. Change the font size according to the resolution you’re currently using. Change the FontNormal8 line to FontNormal10 or above. See the example below: on the left-hand side, you have the original file and on the right-hand side, you have the modified file.
How to set a custom resolution for windowed mode
How to scale the mini-map
1. Go to C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSid Meier’s Civilization VIBaseAssetsUI > open MinimapPanel.xml
2. Go to the line “Sampler=”Linear” Size=”256,256″>” that controls mini-map’s size. Increasing the first 256 will increase the size of the map.
These are the most frequent issues and bugs affecting Civilization VI gamers. If this article doesn’t offer an answer to your question, use the comment section below to tell us more about the particular bugs you’re experiencing. We’ll update this article as soon as we find a workaround for your problem.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Civilization V no Longer Works in Windows 10
- How to fix common Battlefield 1 issues
- Fix: Shadow Warrior 2 crashes when loading missions