How to Use a PlayStation 3 Controller in Windows 10
Windows 10 is closely connected with Microsoft’s own Xbox One console, but there are some exceptions that could be made. For example, you can use Xbox’s bitterest rival’s joystick as your regular computer joystick, with the little trick I’m going to show you in this article.
I know Microsoft will probably dislike this. So, if anyone from Microsoft reads this post, I’m sorry guys, but there are simply people who own PlayStation consoles (but still use your operating system on their computers, though), and they don’t want to spend money on expensive gamepads for their computers, when they can use the joystick they already have.
So, to be able to get your PS3 gamepad working on Windows 10, you have to do a couple of things first. The very first thing you need to do is to download the proper driver for your PlayStation 3 joystick. There are a lot of drivers of this kind, but I recommend Motionjoy. You can download it for free from this link.
Okay, so you downloaded and installed the driver, but your PS3 joystick still doesn’t work on your Windows 10 machine? Well that’s normal, because as I said, Microsoft won’t let you to use PS3 hardware by default. So you have to do a little trick, called “disabling driver signature enforcement,” in order to be able to the PlayStation 3 gamepad on Windows 10 computer.
To disable driver signature enforcement, follow these steps:
- Go to Start Menu and open Settings
- Go to Update and Recovery
- Choose Recovery from the left pane
- Under Recovery section, choose Advanced Startup
- Your computer will restart and you’ll get advanced startup options on the next boot
- In these options, choose Troubleshoot
- Now head to Advanced options
- And then Startup settings
- The computer will restart again and it will give you the list of startup settings you can change
- You should look for Disable driver signature enforcement, to turn off this option, press F7
- Restart your computer and boot normally
After disabling driver signature enforcement, your Motionjoy drivers should work just fine. After you set up your drivers, follow the instructions from Motionjoy, and you’ll be able to use PlayStation 3 controller on your Windows 10 computer.
I know it’s probably against Microsoft’s rules, but if you already have a PS3 controller, why throw money on some expensive PC gamepads, when you can play with what you got. If you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Furthermore, if you’re in the market for a brand new PS3 controller or any other PS3 accessories, here’s what we’re suggesting for you to buy:
- Best deals in PlayStation 3 controllers from Amazon
- Hottest deals on PS3 controllers from BestBuy
- Get a PlayStation 4 (best price and also a lot bundles there) if you’re looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Read Also:Â Fix: Camera App Not Working in Windows 10