If VirtualBox stopped working on your Windows 10 system you need to find the right fix without losing your recently saved files.
Most problems are related with recently applied Windows updates, which mean that we are discussing about compatibility issues, about certain Windows 10 settings that must be adjusted, or about outdated drivers.
So, if VirtualBox is no longer opening on Windows 10, don’t panic; you just have to apply the workarounds that are explained and detailed in this tutorial.
The overall idea is that VirtualBox can stop working on Windows 10 without any apparent reasons. However, this is a common problem that can be addressed easily and without losing your files.
How to fix VirtualBox not opening in Windows 10
- Solution 1 – Reinstall VirtualBox
- Solution 2 – Update graphic drivers
- Solution 3 – Run the app in compatibility mode
- Solution 4 – Turn off 3D graphics acceleration feature
1. Reinstall VirtualBox
Usually, VirtualBox stops from working because of an incompatibility problem. In most situations you might experience such malfunctions right after a Windows 10 update. Thus, the right thing to do is to reinstall VirtualBox on your machine; here is what you should follow:
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon.
- From the list that will be displayed choose Control Panel.
- Switch to category and then, under Programs, click on Uninstall.
- Find the VirtualBox entry and uninstall the program from your computer.
- Make sure you keep all the recently saved files.
- Afterwards, reboot your Windows 10 device.
- Next, download the latest version of VirtualBox and install it by following on-screen prompts.
- That should be all; in the end you should be able to use VirtualBox on Windows 10 without further problems.
2. Update graphic drivers
Another thing you should do is to update your graphic drivers:
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon.
- Click on the Device Manager entry.
- From Device Manager extend the Display adapters entry.
- Right-click on your graphic drivers and choose Update.
- Additionally, follow this dedicated tutorial and learn how to fix the video driver in VirtualBox.
3. Run the app in compatibility mode
If reinstalling VirtualBox isn’t working for you, a good idea will be to run the program with Administrator rights and in Compatibility mode:
- Right-click on the VirtualBox executable file.
- Choose Properties and go to Compatibility.
- Click on Run compatibility troubleshooter or just check the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ field.
- Save your changes and run the program with Admin rights.
- VirtualBox should now open on your Windows 10 system.
4. Turn off 3D graphics acceleration feature
- Right-click on any blank space from Desktop.
- Select Graphics properties from the list that will be open.
- Choose Basic Mode and pick Ok.
- Navigate towards 3D option.
- Disable 3D graphics acceleration from this screen.
- Right-click on the Windows Start logo.
- Choose Programs & Features.
- From the next window click on Turn Windows Featues On or Off.
- In the list that will be displayed find the Hyper-V entry.
- Expand Hyper-V and turn it On.
- Reboot your Windows 10 system in the end.
Also, remember that VirtualBox can run only if you have a virtualization capable CPU while virtualization feature must be enabled from BIOS.
There you go; that’s how you can try to fix the VirtualBox not opening problem in Windows 10. As mentioned, this error usually occurs after certain Windows 10 updates, so another workaround might be to uninstall the implied update or to roll out your system to a previous release: press Win+I keyboard hotkeys and select Update & Security; then navigate towards Windows Update, click on Advanced Settings and go to Update History. From that section you can afterwards uninstall certain patches.
You can tell us which method resolved your problem by filling out the comments form available below – in that way you can help other users fix their own VirtualBox malfunctions.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix application popup event id 1060 on Windows 10
- How to fix the avpui.exe application error on Windows 10
- Fix: “This app can’t run on your PC” on Windows 10