Every operating system has some sort of issues and same goes for Windows 10; and speaking of issues some users are experiencing proxy issues in Windows 10. According to users they are getting “Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings” message, and if you’re having similar problem feel free to have a look at our solutions.
How to Deal with Proxy Issues in Windows 10
- Windows 10 can’t detect proxy settings – This is a common variation of this error and it can be easily fixed by using one of our solutions.
- Windows could not automatically detect proxy server – Sometimes you might get a message saying that Windows can’t detect the proxy server. This issue is usually related to your network configuration.
- Windows won’t save proxy settings – According to users, they are unable to save their proxy settings. This is a common error but you should be able to fix it with solutions from this article.
- Windows proxy settings keep changing – This is another common problem with proxy. According to users, their proxy settings keep changing and they are unable to configure the proxy.
- Windows 10 proxy settings not saving, changing – This is probably one of the most annoying proxy errors that can occur. According to users, they are unable to save or change their proxy settings.
Users report that internet on their computers is running very slow and they have difficulty accessing video streaming sites such as Youtube, Vimeo and Netflix. As you can see, this can be quite a problem and cause many inconveniences, but luckily for you we have few solutions available.
Solution 1 – Check your proxy server settings
- Disable proxy server on Internet Explorer.
- Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard.
- When Run dialog appears type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter.
- Click Connections tab, and then click the LAN settings button.
- Check if your proxy settings are okay.
Solution 2 – Reset TCP/IP
- Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt starts, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.
- Restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Solution 3 – Uninstall your antivirus software
Using your computer without an antivirus is not the best idea, but fortunately for you Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender that will protect you when you remove your antivirus software. According to some users your antivirus software such as AVG 2015 can cause some issues with proxy on Windows 10, so it’s advisable to remove your current antivirus software.
After removing your antivirus software check if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved be sure to download and install different antivirus software.
Many network issues are caused by malware, various scripts and bots. You can secure yourself by installing Cyberghost, a leader in the VPN market. It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
- READ ALSO: Downloading proxy script on Google Chrome
Solution 4 – Use System Restore
If you’re getting Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings error message frequently, you might be able to fix it by performing a System Restore. According to users, this issue can occur after installing new applications or after modifying your network configuration. To fix the problem, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- System Properties window will now appear. Click on System Restore button.
- When System Restore window appears, click on Next.
- Now you should see a list of recent restore points. If available, check Show additional restore points option. Select the desired restore point and click on Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
After completing the restoration, the error message should be resolved and everything will start working again. Many users reported that this solution fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 5 – Perform an SFC scan
According to users, you can fix Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings simply by using Command Prompt. This issue can be caused by file corruption, and in order to fix it, you need to do the following:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To see how to do that, check Solution 2.
- Now enter sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- SFC scan will now start. The scanning process can take about 10-15 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the scan is finished, check if the problem still appears. If so, you might have to use DISM scan. To do that, open Command Prompt as administrator and enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. DISM scan can take about 20 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the DISM scan is finished, check if the issue is resolved. If you were unable to run SFC scan before, try running it after DISM scan. After running both scans, your issue should be resolved. Several users reported that SFC scan fixed the problem for them, so we advise you to try it out.
Solution 6 – Reset your Internet settings
Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings error can sometimes occur due to your Internet settings. However, you should be able to fix the issue simply by resetting your settings to default. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Navigate to Advanced tab and click on Reset.
- Click the Reset button. If you want, you can clear your personal data by checking Delete personal settings.
- Optional: Click on Restore advanced settings.
- Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
After resetting your Internet settings the issue should be resolved.
Solution 7 – Restart your network adapter
One of the simplest ways to fix Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings error is to restart your network adapter. To do that, follow these steps:
- Right click the network icon in the bottom right corner and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings from the menu on the left.
- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Disable.
- Now right click your network connection again and choose Enable from the menu.
After restarting your network adapter the issue should be resolved and your network connection will start working again. Keep in mind that this might not be a permanent solution, so you’ll have to repeat it if the problem reappears.
- READ ALSO: Fix: ”There is no internet connection, there is something wrong with the proxy server” error in Windows
Solution 8 – Enable Obtain DNS sever address automatically
According to users, you might be able to fix Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings error simply by obtaining your DNS automatically. Many users prefer setting their DNS manually, but sometimes it’s better to use automatic settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Network and Sharing Center and go to Change adapter settings.
- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties button.
- Select Obtain DNS server address automatically and click on OK to save changes.
After doing that, the issue should be resolved and you’ll be able to access the Internet without any problems.
Solution 9 – Change proxy settings
You can fix Windows Could not Automatically Detect Network’s Proxy Settings error simply by changing your proxy settings. According to users, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Network & Internet section.
- In the left pane, go to Proxy and in the right pane disable Automatically detect settings.
Users reported that disabling this feature fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it.
Solution 10 – Run network troubleshooter
According to users, you might be able to fix the problem simply by running Network troubleshooter. To do that, you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Update & security section.
- In the left pane select Troubleshoot. Select Network Adapter in the right pane and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- When Troubleshooter opens, follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
- Optional: Some users are recommending to run Internet Connections troubleshooter, so you might want to try that as well.
After completing the troubleshooter, the issue should be resolved completely.
Windows 10 proxy issues can cause many problems such as limited internet access, and if you’re getting “Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings” error, we hope that some of our solutions will be helpful to you.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- The 7 best proxy tools for Windows 10 to protect your privacy
- uProxy for Mozilla Firefox and Chrome allows access to the internet via Web Proxy
- How to: Configure Microsoft Edge proxy settings
- Fix: Unable to Connect to Proxy Server in Windows 8, Windows 10
- Can’t connect to VPN on PC