What is Microsoft Office?
Microsoft Office is an office suite of desktop applications, servers, and services for the Microsoft Windows and OS X operating systems.
It was first announced by Microsoft on August 1, 1989. Microsoft Office became the marketing term for a suite of applications, and the first version of Office contained Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
Also, Microsoft chose to group applications for different types of people to accommodate their needs. There is a suite of application for schools, for enterprises, for home, and for small business owners, each one having a different price.
The latest version is called Microsoft Office 2019, and Microsoft Office 365 is the web-based version. Other previous versions still used are called Microsoft Office 2016, 2013, and 2010.
Generally, people name simply Microsoft Office, regardless of the version, which makes distinguishing difficult.
Still, Microsoft Office 365 stands on its own, because it uses the cloud to integrate all aspects of the applications. Also, it is more easy to use because it’s a subscription service. Users pay a monthly or yearly fee to use it, and then the upgrades come free of charge.
What can Microsoft Office do for users?
As we said before, the apps included in Microsoft Office depend on the suite you want. Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal include Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Outlook. Office Home & Student 2016 includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote.
The suites for business also include Publisher and Access.
- READ ALSO: 9 of the best PC video-editing software
These are the Microsoft Office apps with a short description for each:
- Word: this is the first application that comes to mind when talking about Microsoft Office. It is mainly used to create (written) documents.
- Excel: this is a very useful tool for storing and organizing data, but also for calculations in engineering, for example.
- PowerPoint: this is the main Microsoft app to create presentations
- Outlook: this is the Microsoft email client and it is used to manage email and calendars, to do lists and contacts.
- OneDrive: it is a cloud application to store data online
- OneNote: to organize data you collect such as handwritten notes, drawings, screen captures, audio clips, and more
- Publisher: this is a more sophisticated app, used by corporations to create publications, posters, flyers, menus
- Access: this application captures and analyzes data from computers or networks. It is also dedicated to enterprises.
With each edition, Microsoft made these different applications to work together more efficiently. All documents, regardless of their format, can be saved on OneDrive. Also, you can email the documents via Outlook.
- READ ALSO: 8 of the best PC photo-editing software
Basically, Microsoft Office is a suite of tools that covers almost every aspect of your work, of course, not including more specialized apps such as image editing, text editing or CAD software.
Browsers are essential tools for surfing the Internet. Also, the interface of any browser is crucial for providing a user-friendly experience. However, this feature is […]
While using the Power Bi desktop app you may face some issues with your data and file. One such error is related to Power Bi […]
The built-in Windows Photos app allows you to edit photos as well as play videos of multiple formats apart from viewing images. Sometime, the app […]