Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Admins need to export a list of users in the Active Directory for various purposes, such as auditing.
- We will guide you on how a specialized tool can help you export the list of Active Directory users.
Apart from monitoring the network, auditing, and providing access to all the apps and services on the network, IT admins also often need to get a list of users in a group or group members from the Active Directory. This data is helpful while auditing, permissions review or allotment, or moving into other systems.
In this guide, you will learn how you can export an active directory list of users in a group. We will show you a couple of methods, one of which is via PowerShell and also using a specialized tool. Let us get right into it.
Why do Admins need to export a list of Active Directory users in a group?
Admins need to monitor a lot of things, to ensure that the network is out of blockage and that every member in the network can access the required apps and services.
Along the same line, admins need to monitor the Active Directory group members to know that all members have required access and permissions to resources that they are authorized to access.
Sometimes, overlooking can happen, and this could provide unnecessary access to group members to unauthorized apps and services.
How can I export a list of Active Directory users in a group?
1. Use Windows PowerShell
- Press the Win key to open the Start menu.
- Type powershell and open Windows PowerShell as an admin.
- Type the below command and press Enter.
- If you do not have the RSAT tools installed on your PC, then you can download and install the RSAT tools.
- After you have installed the RSAT tools on your PC, run the command mentioned in step 3, and it will show that the module is installed.
- Type the below command and press Enter.
Get-ADGroup -filter * | sort name | select name
- The above command isn’t for the admins that know the name of the group.
- In case you do not know the name of the group, the above command will list all the Active Directory groups.
- Execute the below command to load all members of a specific group.
Get-ADGroupMember -identity "Group name"
- In place of the Group name in the above command, enter the name of the group of which you wish to list all the members.
- To get the filtered result and just the member name, then type the below command and press Enter.
Get-ADGroupMember -identity "Group name" | select name
- Run the below command to export the group members’ results to a CSV file.
Get-ADGroupMember -identity "Group name" | select name | Export-csv -path c:\it\filename.csv -Notypeinformation
This is one of the usual ways via which admins can get export list of users in a group from the Active Directory. However, there is another more efficient way to get the list of all users in a group from the Active Directory, using a specialized tool.
2. Use a specialized tool
- Download ManageEngine ADManager Plus.
- Install the program.
- Launch the program.
- Click on the Reports tab.
- Select User Reports.
- Under the General Reports section, click the All Users report.
- Select the domain under the Selected Domain drop-down menu.
- Choose the OU.
- Hit the Generate button.
- Hit the Export as button from the top and select the format among CSV, PDF, HTML, CSVDE and XLSX and export the file.
One of the best ways to export a list of users in a group from an Active Directory is to use the ManageEngine ADManager Plus tool.
Using this specialized tool, you can instantly export groups and members of an Active Directory. It even lets you schedule reports, export reports in multiple formats, search and sort results, and much more.
ManageEngine ADManager PlusA complete Active Directory management, auditing, and reporting solution.
For users looking for ways to install Active Directory, we have a step-by-step guide that will help you install Active Directory on a Windows server.
You can also check out our guide on how to view Active Directory groups on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Let us know in the comments below, which one of the above methods you used to export a list of group members in the Active Directory.