Amazon Prime won’t work when VPN is enabled? Here are some fixes
If your VPN connection is always having issues, especially when trying to stream media like movies and other channels, like on Amazon Prime and other streaming media players, it’s not just frustrating, but can be expensive especially if you have to keep changing VPNs.
Some issues that arise when Amazon Prime VPN is not working include constant disconnections, DNS leaks, and other errors that may arise from proxies, or user information, among others.
This article looks at the possible causes or errors you can encounter when Amazon Prime VPN is not working, and how to resolve these issues.
FIX: Amazon VPN not working
- Preliminary checks
- Update your VPN app
- Change your VPN protocol
- TLS handshake and network connection issue
- Incorrect system date and time
- No IP or host not found
- Set routing and remote access services
- Change your VPN
1. Preliminary checks
- Ensure you’re not connected to another VPN before you proceed to the next solutions, so you may want to close any other VPN programs you have running before using your Amazon Prime VPN.
- You also need to check that your antivirus or firewall software are not the cause of the connection errors, because these sometimes affect connection. Disable them and then try to reconnect to your VPN to access Amazon Prime. If the disabling helps, add your VPN as an exception before you enable your security software again.
- Check that your internet connection is active by disconnecting from your VPN and try accessing the website regularly.
- Connect to the server location nearest to your location. If this helps, the issue is with the server location you tried to connect to initially
- Change your DNS, or switch to a different network. You can try using a different network, like a public Wi-Fi connection, to see if the connection problem is with your current Internet service.
2. Update your VPN app
To do this, log in to your VPN account, and set up your VPN, then select the device platform you’re using like Windows, and download the latest version of your VPN for Windows. Set up and connect the VPN app and see if it starts working with Amazon Prime again.
3. Change your VPN protocol
The VPN connection usually works better when TCP is used instead of UDP. Your device connects to your VPN servers using VPN protocols, the default one being the UDP protocol, which in some countries like the Middle East, is blocked. Here’s how to change the protocol:
- For optimal performance, choose the OpenVPN TCP first
- Select the L2TP next, and finally choose PPTP protocols. Use PPTP when necessary to do so as it offers minimal security.
- Go to your VPN settings window while disconnected from the VPN
- Under Protocol tab, select the protocol you want to use and click OK
Speaking of changing VPNs, we strongly recommend CyberGhost, a leading VPN provider which has not been reported with errors, so you can relax about connectivity and enjoy enhanced security. Get now CyberGhost (currently 77% off) on the official webpage.
4. TLS handshake and network connection issue
If you get errors related to the TLS handshake and network connection, reboot your machine and start your VPN connection all over again. If the issue persists, change the protocol, or try disabling your antivirus or firewall programs.
If you cannot connect to a server location after restarting your VPN, reinstall the VPN, and run the installation program again. If you still get Amazon Prime VPN not working issues, after rebooting and re-installing, check if RasDialException appears in your connection log, and if it does, reset the Winsock.
5. Incorrect system date and time
If you’re unable to connect to Amazon Prime with your VPN, check the date and time of your system and ensure it is correct. If it is wrong, do the following:
- Right click the Date and Time display on your task bar
- Click Adjust date and time settings.
- Click Date and time tab
- Slide to switch off Set time automatically, then click Change under Change Date and Time. Enter password if prompted
- If you need to change the time zone, click Change time zone… , select your current time zone in the drop-down list
- Click OK.
- Restart your VPN and connect to a server location. If you cannot connect after restarting, reinstall your VPN again by running the installation program once more.
6. No IP or host not found
If you get the error: Requested name is valid but does not have an IP address OR Host not found, ensure you’re connected to the internet. If you have to activate your DSL connection manually before going online, refer to your DSL instructions before you connect to your VPN. The VPN isn’t a replacement to your internet connection.
If you still get Amazon Prime VPN not working issues, after trying to reconnect to your VPN, then your ISP may be blocking access to the VPN’s DNS servers, so you have to manually set DNS servers as shown below.
Step 1: Open Network Connections settings
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- In Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right click the connection and select Properties
Step 2: Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 184.108.40.206 Alternate DNS server 220.127.116.11
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124) enter and press OK, Level3 DNS (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) enter and press OK
- Once you have configured your computer for your VPN’s DNS servers, flush old DNS entries
7. Set routing and remote access services
If you get the error: Element not found, you need to set routing and remote access services by doing the following:
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type services.msc and click OK
- Under the services list, find routing and remote access
- Check that the current operation for routing and remote access is stopped, or stop it by clicking the item and select Stop icon in the top menu bar
- Double click routing and remote access
- Under routing and remote access properties menu, set the Startup type to Manual and click OK to save changes
- Restart your VPN and connect to a server location. If Amazon Prime VPN is still not working, change the VPN protocol and connect again.
ALSO READ: Fix: VPN error on Windows 10
8. Change your VPN
If your current VPN is not working with Amazon Prime, and you’ve tried all you can in your capacity to resolve it but it won’t budge, you can try using CyberGhost or Hotspot Shield which are among the best free VPNs for Amazon Prime.
CyberGhost protects your privacy on a multi-platform privacy solution, using the highest encryption available with 256-bit encryption technology, plus your IP will remain hidden, and you get Wi-Fi protection if you’re in a public area.
It also comes with a strict no logs policy that doesn’t track your internet activity, multiplatform apps for your laptop and other devices, security for conversations, and access to over 1000 VPN servers in more than 30 of the most popular countries.
This VPN lets you access geo-restricted content on Amazon Prime, protect all your devices, block ads and malware, and stream at the highest possible speeds you can get on a VPN.
This is a US-based VPN that offers OpenVPN, AES-256 encryption, and zero log policy. Some of the advantages of using this with Amazon Prime include secure and private access to free and open video streaming, internet, and access to social networks among other sites.
Hotspot Shield has a patented protocol that is integrated by 70 percent of the world’s largest security companies, and leads in performance with thousands of servers globally. It protects your identity and encrypts your data, whether you’re at home or in public. You can also enjoy secure access anywhere to your favorite apps and sites.
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix Amazon Prime VPN not working issue, by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 6 best VPNs to use with Tor for double internet protection
- 3 best VPNs for Bluestacks to run Android apps & games on PC
- 5 of the best VPNs for Kodi for smooth video streaming
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]
Microsoft released a new Windows 7 update to the general public. Update KB4457139 is actually a preview of the upcoming monthly rollup update and allows users […]