Microsoft said that it will drop soon support for Windows 8 and many software makers have rushed to update all of their products to Windows 8.1. But AMD has decided even to drop support for Windows 8.
A new beta version of AMD’s Catalyst video card drivers has been released and it now comes with increased performance but, unfortunately for some of you who hate Windows 8.1 and what to see it gone, it drops support for Windows 8.0. Thus, version 14.6 beta of AMD Catalyst is officially not going to work well on Windows 8, but this does’t mean it won’t work at all. However, you really need to make the jump to Windows 8.1 if you want to enjoy games at their best. That’s just how things are.
Read Also: How To Uninstall Windows 8.1 Update 1
Get Windows 8.1 to run AMD Catalyst without problems
The latest version contains many fixes and improvements, and here are some of the most important ones:
- performance in Watch Dogs is up by 25% at 1080p with the new drivers and up by 28% when running at 2K 2560×1600
- major improvement coming to Eyefinity multi-monitor mode
- murdered Soul Suspect performance improvements
- new user controls for video color and display settings
- AMD AM1 JPEG decoding acceleration
- Mantle now supports AMD Mobile products with Enduro technology
- Provides Power Efficiency for JPEG decompression
Here’s what AMD had to say about the dropping of support for Windows 8:
AMD choose to focus our development efforts on the latest version of Windows 8, which is available to all users as a free update.