Microsoft has recently introduced email one-time passcodes (OTP) to Azure AD. Alex Simons, Corporate VP of Program Management wrote a post on Microsoft’s blog to share the news with the users and declared it to be a major step in B2B collaboration.
The new feature ensures seamless B2B collaborations. Previously, Microsoft only supported Azure AD, Microsoft and Google accounts. This week the tech giant enhanced Azure AD’s capabilities by allowing guest users with any email address on the platform.
Azure AD data sharing is available to all users
You have the opportunity to work closely with the people who are not a part of your organization. These partners can be based anywhere in the world working in another organization. The platform allows you to let them access resources, documents, and applications.
Access privacy settings restrict them from compromising the privacy of your organization’s internal data. The developers can use the platform to securely bring together organizations by writing relevant applications.
Azure AD major changes
- Guests can authenticate themselves by using their work email account while protecting their corporate resources.
- Guests users can optionally use the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and conditional access to apply additional security if needed.
- Built-In lightweight lifecycle management has been provided for the Email OTP capability restricting each authentication session to 24 hours.
- If your partner organization is not a part of the cloud or hybrid environment yet, the guests can use their email OTP to sign-in.
A glimpse into the new sign-in experience
Alex walks users through the entire user sign-in experience. He explains that users will have to request a passcode through the sign in prompt at each redemption time and subsequent authentications in future. At the next step, they will be able to sign in using the one-time passcode code that they have received via email.
As soon as they enter the sign in code, guest users will be able to sign in with in a few seconds. Furthermore, he encouraged the users to share their suggestions and feedback in the Azure AD UserVoice feedback forum.
The Email OTP capability is eventually going to increase the userbase of the Azure AD B2B collaboration.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft’s Azure Sphere is a new security platform for IoT devices
- Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds now runs on Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft wants to ensure Azure is the best place for containerized work