If you want to turn your Windows 10 smartphones, mini PCs, and tablets into a laptop, the NexDock is the answer. This prototype will soon be available on the market thanks to all the backers who helped the Nexdock team surpass its $300,000 goal on Indiegogo.
The NexDock team gathered many fans around the idea of a customizable dock. At the moment, they’ve raised $338,518 and counting, with five more days left for to raise funds. The more money the team manages to raise, the better the Nexdock’s specs becomes. The company promises that at the $500,000 stretch goal, one of the USB ports will feature a USB C port. If the Nexdock’s funding reaches $1,000,000, the device will offer a higher resolution display. (It doesn’t already?) While its second $1,000,000 milestone is a bit ambitious, chances are the company will manage to reach its first milestone.
The NexDock requires another device to be plugged into it via HDMI. The NexDock is also very interesting for Windows users because you can use Continuum to connect your phone to the dock:
Use NexDock with the latest Windows 10 mobile devices (such as the Lumia 950) and take advantage of the new Continuum feature, allowing smartphones and tablets to switch between touch and desktop modes.
Other uses include:
- secondary screen for your laptop: you can set a multi-screen workstation when traveling
- productivity with tablets thanks to a full-size keyboard and screen
- portability for PC sticks
- a bigger screen for your phone: this comes in handy when you use the Movies&TV app.
If you’ve ever connected your smartphone, tablet, or mini PC to your TV or monitor, you will have no problem connecting your Windows device to NexDock. It is the same process: all that’s needed is a cable/adapter that supports HDMI-out from your device.
If you want to know more about this project and the team’s goals, check out its Indiegogo page:
In the future, we want to develop docks with variety of sizes and better-integrated mini PCs with a range of processors and operating systems. By separating processor & operating system from the display, we hope to start a paradigm shift in consumer electronics, where computers can be adapted to match your exact needs, generating less electronic waste for the environment.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft to Bring New Continuum Features in Upcoming Windows 10 Mobile Redstone Build
- Best Windows 10 gaming laptops for true gamers
- HP Spectre 13 introduced as the world’s thinnest laptop, runs Windows 10
- MSI’s new Windows 10 laptop is Oculus Rift and HTC Vive compatible
- New Razer Blade gaming laptop officially released this month