- Google Chrome is a great browser, but you can sometimes encounter certain issues while using it.
- Chrome errors can be a problem, and many reported that they can’t make Chrome a default browser on their PC.
- To fix this issue, you need to set Chrome as the default browser from the Settings app or from the browser itself.
- If you’re having issues with Chrome, we advise you to check our Chrome hub, for more in-depth guides.
There are plenty of Internet browsers to choose from nowadays, but picking the right one can be difficult.
Some may look for looks, others may be interested in response times, while others are just happy if it won’t burden their PC too much.
If you do find your dream browser, then it is a good idea to make it your default browser. That way, any link you may click will open in that particular browser, making navigation much easier.
However, some users have reported having problems when they try settings Google Chrome as their default browser.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome several times. Windows 10 used to let me use Chrome as default browser but now I cannot select anything for default. The icon keeps degrading which is when I uninstall and reinstall.
If you too are having this problem, continue reading this step-by-step guide that we’ve created in order to fix this problem.
Before we show you how to make the changes so that Chrome is set as your default browser, we urge you to take a couple of minutes and reconsider your choice. Is Chrome really the best browser for you?
What if there’s something else out there, that feels familiar to Chrome but it’s much faster and more private?
Download the Opera browser and give it a shot. You can easily import all of your bookmarks from Chrome and then enjoy a better browsing experience.
Here’s what you’ve been missing out on:
- Built-in Adblocker and crypto mining protection
- free, unlimited VPN
- Battery saver mode
- Built-in messengers
Webpages load faster, you won’t see ads and the PC will run better because there’s more free RAM available. What’s not to love?
OperaMake Opera the default browser and experience amazing benefits
How do I make Chrome my default browser?
1. Set is as default when you install it
After you download and install Chrome for the first time, you will be asked whether to make it your default browser. When that happens, choose yes.
If you missed out on that chance, you will receive a message whenever you open a Chrome tab, asking you whether you want to set it as your default browser.
2. Use Control Panel
- Press Windows + R
- Type in control.exe
- This will launch the Control Panel
- Go to Programs
- Select Default Programs
- Go to Set your default programs
- Under Web browser, click the icon, and then choose Chrome
3. Use Chrome’s browser settings
- Launch Google Chrome
- Click the 3 vertical dots in the top-right corner of the window
- Select Settings
- From the left pane, select Default browser
- Set Chrome as your default browser
By following each of these steps, you will be able to make Google Chrome your default Internet browser. Now all external links that will click will open in Chrome.
These solutions also work for other users that cannot set Chrome as default browser Windows 10 or that can’t make Chrome default browser Windows 10. With a couple of settings tweaked, you are all done.
If, after all this, you still can’t set Chrome as default browser, there might be some malware on your device that prevents you from making the changes permanent. Run a quick scan with Malwarebytes and see if it detects something.
What other Internet browsers are you interested in making your default, but having trouble with? Let us know in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- Can I install Chrome on Windows 10?
Yes, Google Chrome works perfectly with Windows 10. To see how to install Chrome on Windows 10, check out our Chrome installation guide.
- Which is the default browser on Windows 10 computers?
The default browser or Windows 10 is Microsoft Edge, but you can easily change it to Chrome or any other browser.
- How do you reset Google Chrome?
Resetting Google Chrome is simple, and you just need to go to Chrome Settings > Advanced and click the Reset button to reset the browser.
- Does Microsoft Edge interfere with Google Chrome?
Microsoft Edge doesn’t interfere with Google Chrome, especially not if you set Chrome as the default browser for your PC.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.