The Channel 9 app is designed to help users of Microsoft products learn more about the company’s ecosystem through video materials that showcase Microsoft technologies and programs to the world. However, the Channel 9 app has been less popular to Windows users in recent months and in response, Microsoft redesigned the app specifically for Windows 10.
The new update for the Channel 9 service brings the app to the Universal Windows Platform with a modern design. It marks the first time that the app received an update since it launched in 2013 as a native app for Windows 8.
Here is the official announcement from Microsoft:
Today, we are announcing a new Channel 9 UWP App, which provides improved search experience for non-English users who accept Language-Enabled, and features such as pin your favorite shows and keep up to date with Live Tiles, cast and watch videos on other devices on the network, and share the videos using Windows 8 Charm.
Channel 9 now features an overhauled design and backend. The UWP application has also ditched both the dark theme support and custom accent colors, though it is now easier to access Channel 9 content.
Other new features include:
- A new tile layout: We want to keep the experience of Channel 9 consistent and familiar as our site so our videos are organized in similar categories in a tile layout.
- Cast videos to other networked devices: You can connect and watch videos on other networked devices.
- Share your videos using Windows 8 Charm: Share your videos with Cortana for a reminder, email your network about a video, keeping notes about a video in OneNote, or tweet an interesting video.
- Easy access to your favorite videos in the Queue.
- See all your downloaded Channel 9 videos.
The Channel 9 UWP app for Windows 10 is now available to download from the Microsoft Store for both Windows 10 PC and mobile devices.