- Setting up a Google Meet conferencing room will make joining easier for employees and guests.
- Interoperability Gateways must be enabled from the Google Admin Console to create sessions.
- You can connect to an ongoing meeting via the mobile phone or any other touchscreen device.
Our current situation has forced companies worldwide to switch to a remote work environment. As a result, holding physical meetings was out of the question.
Lots of developers started focusing their resources and efforts on developing and adding features to their video meeting solutions.
One of those companies is Google, which continued to develop its video conferencing software, Google Meet.
The software received a UI overhaul and many new features that helped make enterprise-grade video conferencing more accessible for everyone.
Now, Google Meet is being used in online classes and in business meetings in large organizations around the world.
Google Meet hardware is a plus
Google made their software really accessible to anyone, from individuals to small businesses or big organizations.
The best way to enjoy the software, especially if you’re part of a team, is by using Meet Hardware. Setting up a meeting room with these certified accessories will simplify everything.
Its curated components flawlessly work together to make engaging HD meetings that are affordable and easy to operate.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
How do I connect a meeting room systems to Google Meet?
Use Google Meet with 3rd-party video conferencing solutions
1. Go to the Google Meet settings in the Google Admin console
- Go to the Google Admin console.
- Sign in with your credentials.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Apps, then Google Workspace, and Google Meet.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
2. Add interoperability gateways
- In the Meet Video Settings section, click Gateways for interoperability, Add Gateway.
- Enter your name as your own reference and click Generate.
- Open the gateway token and click Close.
- Send the gateway token to Pexip.
- Under Trusted Devices toggle the option for third-party systems to ask before joining.
3. Turn on the meeting interoperability
- In the Meet Video Settings section, select Interoperability.
- Then, check Allow interoperability with other systems.
- Choose the meeting ID format used to join the meetings:
- Use Short meeting IDs.
- Use Long meeting IDs.
- Use Both short and long meeting IDs.
- Next, enter the gateway IP address, gateway hostname, and meeting ID prefix (what you enter should match the settings of your Pexip gateway).
- Click Save.
4. Sign up for the Pexip for Google Meet interoperability service
Joining a Google Meet meeting with a meeting room system.
Pexip allows any standards-based video conferencing systems on SIP and H.323 to seamlessly connect to Google Meet meetings.
There are 3 main ways to join a Google Meet meeting from a meeting room system depending on your preferences:
- Touch screen or remote control (available for all)
- Pexip mobile app (requires an endpoint subscription)
- Meeting room mode (with a shared mobile device)
Using a remote control or touch screen
When using the remote control or the video system touch screen, you can call into the meeting either via a Virtual Reception or by directly dialing the meeting address.
- Open the Calendar Invite.
- If you see a SIP option you can enter the associated dial-in address using the touch panel or remote control system.
- Otherwise (if there is no SIP option), click on the link More joining options.
- In the new window, select Third-party systems and use the SIP endpoint address in the format [email protected].
- Then, enter the dial-in address using the touch panel or remote control.
- If the video system is registered on the Pexip Service or is a trusted device, it is allowed automatically into the meeting.
- In all other cases, the device must be explicitly admitted into the conference (this takes the form of a popup dialog as shown right, displayed to all participants connected directly to the conference). Any of those participants can then choose to allow (admit) or deny access.
Using the Pexip mobile app
The user needs to download and install the Pexip mobile app and allow it to read the calendar used for Meet invites. See Downloading the apps for more information.
When using the Pexip mobile app to join a Meet meeting with a VTC you can either join from a list of VTCs or use QR code scanning.
Joining from a list of VTCs
This option requires an active endpoint subscription.
- Open the Pexip mobile app on your phone.
- Go to the Meetings tab and select your Meet meeting.
- Choose Video system and select the VTC you want to use.
- Answer the incoming call to your VTC room on the touch panel or remote control.
As an administrator, you can set up your Google Meet account to let participants join the organization’s calls through third-party video conferencing systems.
In order to join the Meet calls, these third-party services must be standards-based (SIP/H323) and can be located inside or outside the organization.
Additionally, if one of them has a calendar integration that supports SIP URI, the participants may also join the Meet calls with a single touch. One of the supported third-party conferencing services is provided by Pexip.
Meet has full integration with other Google products
What’s great about Google Meet is the fact that it’s owned by the same company that owns Gmail and other important software that we use daily.
Thanks to its API, the software can be integrated into other 3rd party tools. Additionally, it can be accessed with a Google account or as a guest.
When it comes to Meet, accessibility is the top priority. Users can join meetings from any device at any time. All they need is an internet connection.
You might also be interested in reading our guide on how to change the display name in Google Meet.
That’s how you connect your meeting room systems to Google Meet. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.