- Microsoft has rolled out a Cortana update to insiders in the Fast ring. It introduces support for additional languages and regions with Bing Answers and Assistant Conversations.
- This update comes along with the release of Windows insider preview build 19613.
- Check out our Cortana section for in-depth coverage of news and insights related to the smart voice search application.
- Go to our Windows 10 section to discover more about the operating system and its applications.
Microsoft has rolled out a Cortana update to insiders in the Fast ring. The company made the announcement when it released Windows 10 insider preview build 19613 to the same group of beta testers.
Cortana’s conversational features now available in more regions
This update does not introduce any new Cortana features. But it makes Bing Answers and Assistant Conversations available in additional regions and languages.
We’re starting to roll out a Cortana app update for Insiders in the Fast ring that will turn on Bing Answers and Assistant Conversations for the following regions and languages:
- Australia: English
- Brazil: Portuguese
- Canada: English/French
- France: French
- Germany: German
- India: English
- Italy: Italian
- Japan: Japanese
- Mexico: Spanish
- Spain: Spanish
- United Kingdom: English
Microsoft said that the update is rolling out gradually. As such, it will not be available to some insiders in the Fast ring right away.
Cortana is powered by Bing, and with the update, you can ask it questions like:
- What is the weather?
- What can you do?
You can also issue a voice command asking the app to perform metric conversions, such as changing one inch to centimeters.
Only version 2.2004.1706.0 has the update. So if you have another Cortana version, you may have to wait before you can use the conversional and search features in any of the additional supported languages or countries.
In the meantime, all insiders in the Fast ring can download Windows 10 preview build 19613.
The update resolves a couple of issues, ranging from Windows Forms apps to black screen issues for some users.
In the release notes for this build, Microsoft acknowledged multiple concerns that build 19613 has not yet resolved. Some of them are:
- Narrator and NVDA screen readers not performing optimally for some insiders using the new Chromium-based Edge browser. Insiders in the Fast ring have been complaining about this issue for a long time.
- Some insiders are unable to update to new builds because the installation process hangs for lengthy periods of time.
- The company is looking into concerns that the lock screen battery icon indicates close to empty even when the battery may be full.
- Updating to a new build sets IIS configuration to default for some insiders.
- The last few builds have been triggering the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION error for some users. Microsoft said it is looking into that issue.
If you are still getting the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION bugcheck or you system keeps freezing after installing a new build, try these hacks.