If you’re an anime/manga aficionado, you’ve probably heard for Crunchyroll. This content provider specializes in contemporary (and classic) anime/manga series which are growing in popularity day by day.
However, since this great website is US-based, the users (even premium ones) who do not live in the United States are content-limited. Certain content is geo-restricted. As a result, users turn to VPN or other alternatives, but sometimes even that won’t work. And, in comparison to other similar websites, Crunchyroll is light years ahead in providing a joyful experience.
In order to address this, we provided 3 adequate solutions. If you’re unable to the access full spectrum of Crunchyroll’s magic, make sure to check them out below.
What to do when the access to Crunchyroll via VPN is denied
- Check your Time & Date and disable location settings
- Clear browser’s cache and switch servers
- Ditch browser extension and try a proper VPN tool
1: Check your Time & Date and disable location settings
First things first. We need to inform you that, based on the Crunchyroll User Agreement, you’re not allowed to use a third-party software to overcome the geo-restriction imposed by the provider. Basically, there’s a reason why they provide only a certain type of content on the US soil. Once we got that out of the way, we’ll show how to do it. On your own responsibility, of course.
Most premium VPN services will work just fine with Crunchyroll as they’re far from a strict content provider. Especially when compared to Netflix or Steam. However, there are some things you should do in order to avoid possible blocking. Firstly, make sure to set the location, date, and time to resembles the one on your VPN server of choice.
If you’re, say, in Nicaragua and your VPN IP address is in Connecticut, make sure to apply proper changes to your system settings. Most of the time this isn’t needed, but it’s one of those steps that might help you resolve the stall.
We highly recommend CyberGhost, a leading VPN provider. With over 1000 servers worldwide and over 10 million users, you can acces different services whithout any problems. Get now CyberGhost (currently 50% off on all plans) on the official webpage.
Also, we recommend disabling location services as they tend to pinpoint your physical location and communicate through the browser. As we already said, anime fan-favorite Crunchyroll isn’t exactly Alcatraz of the online providers, but we’re addressing all possible reasons why you’re unable to access it and this looks like a valid one.
If you’re uncertain how to change your Time/Date/Region settings and disable location services, make sure to follow the steps we provided below:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Time & Language.
- Select Date & Time from the left pane.
- Disable both ”Set time automatically” and ”Set time zone automatically”.
- Select Timezone and choose Dublin-London time zone from the drop-down menu.
- Now you can re-enable the ”Set time automatically” option and that’s it.
- Select Region & language from the left pane and set your region to ”United States”.
- Get back to Settings Main menu and open Privacy.
- Choose Location and disable Location service.
- Restart your PC, enable VPN and try to access Crunchyroll again.
2: Clear browser’s cache and switch servers
This is a simple one but frequently overlooked. As you register for a premium service, the website will, through cookies, track your IP address. What many users forget to do, before they enable VPN, is to clear the browsing data (special emphasis on pesky cookies) and log in then. Basically, that gives you a blank slate and you can log in from another IP address with the same credentials. Of course, we recommend sticking to a certain region.
While we’re mentioning regions, it’s a well-recommended to switch between the servers and locations provided by the VPN client. With a proper premium VPN solution, you should be able to try out an overwhelmingly large number of different locations and find the one which works. Also, some might be faster and some slower. And bandwidth speeds are important when you stream One Punch Man on Crunchyroll.
In order to clear browser’s cache in Chrome, follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome and press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open the ”Clear browsing data” menu.
- Check the ”Cached images and files” box.
- Click on the ”Clear Data” button.
- Close Chrome, re-enable VPN and reconnect to Crunchyroll again.
3: Ditch browser extension and try a proper VPN tool
Finally, we must turn your attention to dangers of certain uncertified extensions which are roaming the interwebz. We won’t say that they’ll certainly steal your credentials (or money which is even worse) but they can do it. As you might know, in order for a proxy to bridge your connection and replace your native IP address with the alternative one, you’re granting it a privilege to access your real address.
- READ ALSO: Best VPN software for Hulu [2018 List]
Now, this opens a door to hell, as the data theft is not uncommon. Therefore, extensions which are, seemingly, specialized for Crunchyroll are not exactly the best tool you can use for this endeavor.
What we can suggest is a proper, trusted and open-source VPN provider which will, for a certain fee, give you a complete access to US-based Crunchyroll from everywhere in the world. Here’s the list of the best-suited VPN solutions for safe and unabridged access to Crunchyroll:
- CyberGhost VPN (recommended)
- HotspotShield VPN (suggested)
- That should do it. Even though they have different options, user interfaces, and subscription fees, they’ll all work with Crunchyroll without issues. And if there are some, make sure to contact the support and they should resolve it for you, as they’re responsible for their paying customers.
If you have anything to add to the list of recommended solutions or a question regarding a Crunchyroll access, make sure to post them in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- VPN won’t work with Netflix: Here are 8 solutions to fix it
- 5 best VPNs for unlimited access to Sky Go
- HBO GO is not working on VPN? Don’t panic, here are 5 solutions to use
- What to do when BBC iPlayer VPN is not working