- If fantasy-inspired anime is what gets you going, Crunchyroll is certainly a name that rings bells.
- And if you're not US-based, you certainly need a VPN to enjoy Crunchyroll content. Should the two ever happen to not work together, help yourself to the below fixes.
- Explore our VPNs Hub for more inspiring solutions that can satisfy all your privacy and unblocking needs.
- For even more tips and tricks, dig into the VPN Guides as well.
If you’re an anime/manga aficionado, you’ve probably heard for Crunchyroll. This content provider specializes in contemporary (and classic) anime/manga series which are growing in popularity day by day.
However, since this great website is US-based, the users (even premium ones) who do not live in the United States are content-limited. Certain content is geo-restricted.
As a result, users turn to VPN or other alternatives, but sometimes even that won’t work. And, in comparison to other similar websites, Crunchyroll is light years ahead in providing a joyful experience.
In order to address this, we provided 4 adequate solutions. If you’re unable to the access full spectrum of Crunchyroll’s magic, make sure to check them out below.
What to do when the access to Crunchyroll via VPN is denied?
- Ditch browser extension and try a proper VPN tool
- Check your Time & Date and disable location settings
- Clear browser’s cache and switch servers
1. Ditch browser extension and try a proper VPN tool
Firstly, we must turn your attention to the dangers of certain uncertified extensions that are roaming the interwebz. We won’t say that they’ll certainly steal your credentials (or money which is even worse) but they can do it.
As you might know, in order for a proxy to bridge your connection and replace your native IP address with the alternative one, you’re granting it a privilege to access your real address.
Now, this opens a door to hell, as the data theft is not uncommon. Therefore, extensions that are, seemingly, specialized for Crunchyroll are not exactly the best tool you can use for this endeavor.
What we can suggest is a proper, trusted, and open-source VPN provider which will, for a certain fee, give you complete access to US-based Crunchyroll from everywhere in the world.
First things first. We need to inform you that, based on the Crunchyroll User Agreement, you’re not allowed to use third-party software to overcome the geo-restriction imposed by the provider.
Basically, there’s a reason why they provide only a certain type of content on the US soil. Once we got that out of the way, we’ll show how to do it. On your own responsibility, of course.
This world-leading VPN is your ticket to enjoying smooth Crunchyroll fantasy rides, buffering-free. PIA’s impressive server network that stretches across 46 countries worldwide will allow you to access US servers in no time.
Plus, you get to experience the perks of unlimited bandwidth and ultra-fast download speeds that are perfect for streaming Crunchyroll content (among others), torrenting, or gaming.
With PIA, there are no such things as ISP throttling, geo-targeting, or blocked websites. Censorship is practically ruled out, leaving the internet a safe and free space for you to engage in your favorite online activities, just as it should have been from the beginning.
What’s more, privacy-oriented PIA adheres to a strict no-logs policy, which basically means no one except for yourself can figure out what you are doing online, not your ISP, not authorities.
This is a particularly important aspect to keep in mind when choosing your VPN tool for Crunchyroll streaming (see the User Agreement mentioned above).
Private Internet AccessThe web should be as free as your imagination. Enjoy Crunchyroll-powered anime and indulge in fantasy with PIA VPN!
2. Check your Time & Date and disable location settings
Speaking about premium VPN services, most of them will work just fine with Crunchyroll as they’re far from a strict content provider. Especially when compared to Netflix or Steam.
However, there are some things you should do in order to avoid possible blocking. Firstly, make sure to set the location, date, and time to resemble the one on your VPN server of choice.
If you’re, say, in Nicaragua and your VPN IP address is in Connecticut, make sure to apply proper changes to your system settings. Most of the time this isn’t needed, but it’s one of those steps that might help you resolve the stall.
Also, we recommend disabling location services as they tend to pinpoint your physical location and communicate through the browser.
As we already said, anime fan-favorite Crunchyroll isn’t exactly Alcatraz of the online providers, but we’re addressing all possible reasons why you’re unable to access it and this looks like a valid one.
If you’re uncertain how to change your Time/Date/Region settings and disable location services, make sure to follow the steps we provided below:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Time & Language.
- Select Date & Time from the left pane.
- Disable both Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically.
- Select Timezone and choose the Dublin-London time zone from the drop-down menu.
- Now you can re-enable the Set time automatically option and that’s it.
- Select Region & language from the left pane and set your region to the United States.
- Get back to Settings Main menu and open Privacy.
- Choose Location and disable Location service.
- Restart your PC, enable VPN, and try to access Crunchyroll again.
3. Clear browser’s cache and switch servers
This is a simple one but frequently overlooked. As you register for a premium service, the website will, through cookies, track your IP address. What many users forget to do, before they enable VPN, is to clear the browsing data (special emphasis on pesky cookies) and then log in.
Basically, that gives you a blank slate and you can log in from another IP address with the same credentials. Of course, we recommend sticking to a certain region.
While we’re mentioning regions, it’s well-recommended to switch between the servers and locations provided by the VPN client. With a proper premium VPN solution, you should be able to try out an overwhelmingly large number of different locations and find the one which works.
Also, some might be faster and some slower. And bandwidth speeds are important when you stream One Punch Man on Crunchyroll.
In order to clear the browser‘s cache in Chrome, follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome and press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open the Clear browsing data menu.
- Check the Cached images and files box.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
- Close Chrome, re-enable VPN, and reconnect to Crunchyroll again.
That should do it. If you have anything to add to the list of recommended solutions or a question regarding Crunchyroll access, make sure to post them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about VPNs and Crunchyroll
- Does VPN work on Crunchyroll?
Most premium VPN services will work just fine with Crunchyroll and allow you to access Crunchyroll content outside of the US territory. Make sure to use a streaming optimized VPN client like PIA with fast download speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
- Why does Crunchyroll not work with a VPN?
If you cannot watch Crunchyroll content when using a VPN, make sure to set the location, date, and time to resemble the one on your VPN server and also match your IP address with your DNS. You can also clear the browsing data (cookies and cache) and switch between server locations.
- Can you get banned from Crunchyroll for using a VPN?
Even though Crunchyroll is not as strict a content provider when compared to Netflix or Steam, they do stipulate in the User Agreement that you’re not allowed to use third-party software to overcome geo-restrictions imposed on their content.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.