Dell is ditching its Android tablet ambitions and moving to rejuvenate is focus on Windows-related devices. The plan here is to completely discontinue manufacturing Android devices in the near future and end updates to existing devices.
According to Dell, the company views 2-in-1 Windows 10 computers as preferred hardware by businesses and regular consumers alike. By moving away from Android, Dell is acknowledging consumer preference, which makes sense: They understand there’s no need to own both a tablet and a laptop when a 2-in-1 device would be both less troublesome and less expensive as well.
We believe 2-in-1s are starting to become the preferred device for those in the workplace who occasionally want to operate the device in tablet mode, which is why we’re continuing to invest in the space, while beginning to divest from the slate tablet market.
The company notes the standard tablet market experienced a 21.1% decline in sales during the last quarter. For 2-in-1 devices, Dell views this as the only growing segment of the computer market right now, and will likely continue to grow for a number of years.
The big question is, why are consumers pivoting to 2-in-1 devices? Dell has the answer:
- “Productivity: 2-in-1s should focus on being a laptop first, then a tablet, which is the only way they fit in a commercial environment. Dell’s newest Latitude lineup boasts business-class features like Intel’s latest processors, large and rich screens for viewing content, full-size ports and keyboards and more, all to help you work on the go.
- Flexibility: while the standard issued work device is typically a laptop or desktop, it can be nice to have a tablet for some business functions – but is it worth carrying two systems? Our fully flexible lineup of Dell 2-in-1s are designed to go wherever work takes you. Regarding the new Latitude 12 7000 Series 2-in-1, Digital Trendsconcluded, “Slim, light, and versatile, the Dell Latitude 12 is an excellent system for the on-the-go user who does a little bit of everything.”
- Value: on-the-go professionals and corridor warriors will love the way 2-in-1s enhance their workflows, but IT decision makers can truly appreciate the value in a system that can be both a laptop and tablet. Gone are the days of purchasing multiple devices for workers, or compromising by choosing only one.
- Security, Manageability & Support: Our commitment to customers is to deliver the most secure, most manageable and most reliable solutions in the industry. The Dell Data Protection | Endpoint Security Suite Enterprise is now available and encompasses encryption, authentication and now greater advanced threat protection. And with ProSupport Plus for PCs and tablets, Dell is the only OEM to provide automated proactive and predictive support capabilities across PCs, tablets, servers, storage and networking.”
Not convinced? Well, recently Dell announced the Inspiron 7000 line of 2-in-1 Windows 10 computers that begins at the cool price of $749 — maybe that’s enough to give it a shot.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Satya Nadella visits India and China to discuss technology development and anti-trust probe
- New Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Comes with Windows 10 and Improved Specs
- Dell Unveils Inspiron 11 3000, a Budget Friendly Windows 10 Laptop
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.