Two months ago, we reported that Microsoft was planning to bring the Double Tap to Wake feature to its Lumia 950 and 950 XL following users’ request. Today, we can confirm this feature finally comes to the two phone models with the 01078.00053.16236.35xxx update, allowing users to turn the screen on without pressing the power button.
Actually, this is not a completely new feature for Microsoft’s phones, as earlier Lumia flagships supported it. The tech giant then decided to remove the Double Tap to Wake due to battery drain concerns. However, users love this feature and asked Microsoft to bring it back.
The Double Tap to Wake feature is available for all phones in the 950 range, irrespective of the build you’re running. The feature will be released in flights/batches, and some users may have to wait longer than others to get it.
Double Tap to Wake will soon be available to Fast and Slow Ring Insiders, as well as on public builds. Therefore, there’s no need to use the WDRT tool to get the new firmware.
To check for updates, and see if this feature is available for you, go to Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for updates.
The Double Tap to Wake feature is not the only improvement brought by the latest Mobile firmware update. The full list of features and improvements includes:
- “Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
- Support for double tap to wake enabled.
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
- Stability and reliability improvements.
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.”
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT: