- The handle is invalid error affects Windows 10 users when they try to log in to their computers.
- The main causes for this error are a recent Windows 10 update or some system files got corrupted or damaged.
- For more information about the most popular OS, explore our Windows 10 section.
- As fixing your PC is your top priority, visit our Tech Troubleshooting Hub for solutions.
How do I fix The handle is invalid printer error?
1. Run a full system scan
Malware may cause various issues on your computer, including errors. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer.
You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, but sooner or later you will need a stronger, more reliable security solution.
We strongly recommend Bitdefender Antivirus Plus for this task as it’s the best antivirus software out there.
As a guarantee for its quality, you should know that the Bitdefender solutions are installed on over 500 million systems globally.
This excellent tool uses the latest artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies to counter any online threat even before they reach your PC.
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
It the printer problem is caused by malware, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus will obliterate it instantly!
2. Update your PC drivers
How to update drivers on Windows 10?
- Type update in the Search box, and click Check for Updates to download and install the latest updates.
- To install particular drivers, launch Device Manager.
- Expand the available categories and select the device that you wish to update the driver for.
- Right-click on the driver and select Update driver.
Note: Another option is to download the available driver updates directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Update drivers automatically
Looking for the driver on the manufacturer’s website can be risky because you still might get the wrong one and produce more damage.
That’s why we recommend downloading and installing DriverFix that updates all your drivers automatically in just a few seconds.
This excellent tool has a library of over 18 million drivers and it’s extremely easy to use so try it out right now.
It scans for updates as antivirus scans for threats so, in a way, it has the same mission, to keep your system safe.
After the installation, DriverFix will automatically run a scan and in a few seconds, it will provide you with a list of files to update.
Clicking on the Update All button will install all the recommended updates but you can also install them individually by selecting their corresponding boxes and clicking on their Update buttons.
Update all your drivers lightning fast using DriverFix and avoid any damage by installing the correct ones.
3. Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues.
Go to Windows Update, check for updates, and install the available updates.
4. Repair your registry
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Note: The simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong.
If you haven’t installed any registry cleaner on your computer, check out our article on the best registry cleaners to use on Windows 10 PCs.
You can also use Microsoft‘s System File Checker to check for system file corruption.
5. Download the HP Universal Print Driver
Many Windows 10 users reported that downloading the HP Universal Print Driver fixed The handle is invalid error. As a quick reminder, this tool automatically detects and configures supported HP devices and some non‑HP devices.
You can download the HP Universal Print Driver from HP’s website.
6. Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Print to PDF
- Go to Devices and Printers section.
- Locate Microsoft Print to PDF, right-click it, and choose Remove Device.
- Click the Add a printer button.
- Click The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
- Select PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) from the menu and click Next.
- Select Microsoft and Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Select Replace the current driver option and click Next.
- Add a name for the printer and wait for Windows to install it.