- Like any other app, ExpressVPN client can display an Unexpected Error message while trying to open or connect to the servers.
- If that's the case, just try relaunching the program. Next step would be to reinstall it. Still not working? Continue reading our solutions.
- More useful tips in case of similar issues can be found in the VPN Errors & Solutions page.
- Always looking for the best? Visit and save our VPN Guides Hub for articles and guides.
The race for the best VPN solution is exceedingly close and the smallest detail can be the game changer. ExpressVPN is highly-regarded as the leader in the field, with a lot of things going for it.
However, there are some issues which made certain users doubt, and they concern a certain Unexpected error which occasionally occurs, especially while they stream media from the geo-restricted websites.
The issue isn’t exactly grave as it is rarely occurring on Windows 10 platform. However, just in case you encountered this error, we provided the steps below which should lead you to a fast resolution.
How to fix ExpressVPN unexpected error in Windows 10
- Uninstall and reinstall
- Try a different server
- Make sure your eligible for MediaStreamer DNS
- Check the connection
- Disable antivirus and firewall
- Send a ticket to ExpressVPN support
1: Uninstall and reinstall ExpressVPN
The issues with the ExpressVPN client for Windows 10 are quite rare. However, this solution from Express VPN International Ltd. is an application like so many others, things can go awry in a blink of an eye. Firstly, make sure that your copy of ExpressVPN is up to date. The update sequence is mostly automatically managed by the in-app update service, but you can check it out manually, as well. Just to make sure everything is as it should be.
In case the aforementioned error is persistent, we recommend a clean reinstallation of the desktop client. By doing so, you’ll re-establish the VPN service and re-integrate ExpressVPN in the Windows shell. If you’re uncertain how to perform a clean reinstallation, make sure to follow the steps we provided below:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Control and open Control Panel from the list of results.
- From the Category view, click Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Right-click on your VPN solution and Uninstall it.
- Use IObit Uninstaller Pro (suggested) or any other third-party uninstaller to clean all remaining files and registry entries the VPN has made.
- Restart your PC.
Now all you need to do is download the client from the official source and finish the re-installation process.
Express VPNReinstall the ExpressVPN client and continue staying anonymous while being connected online.
2: Try a different server
First things first. This error is rather low in occurrence on Windows platform. It mostly plagued iOS users since the version of ExpressVPN for Apple’s handheld devices had a bug. Nonetheless, even if it’s rare, it’s still an error and it’s worth addressing. The first and the easiest way to tackle this is to change the state, location, or server.
It’s quite common for the servers with the most traffic to go down. Also, sometimes the streaming service will impose limitations based on IP address so, by switching to another, you should be able to overcome that. Of course, if the complete VPN service isn’t completely blocked by the media provider.
Switching to an alternative server in the ExpressVPN client is rather simple and they come in numbers so you should have an easy time finding the one which fits the bill. As a side note, you can try to reduce the encryption level. This isn’t directly involved in the ”Unexpected error” appearance, but it can help, nonetheless.
3: Make sure your eligible for MediaStreamer DNS
This Unexpected error mostly occurs when users try to access the streaming media which has a geo-restriction to it. Now, since plenty of them (Netflix is the best example) tend to block VPN services, ExpressVPN offers a special DNS setup which allows you to access, say, Netflix and stream HD videos. In order to speed up the buffering MediaStreamer DNS isn’t accompanied by any type of encryption. On the other hand, a lot of users discard this option as they don’t want to meddle with DNS configuration on their PCs. If Netflix is the main issue, check our guide to fix VPN for Netflix.
You can also try out the Microsoft Store’s version of Netflix instead of the one run through the browser. Some users had more luck with that approach.
Since this isn’t the standard piece of the ExpressVPN suite, you’ll need to enroll in order to use it. If you’re lucky, this should enable you access to the streaming media of your choice without any issues whatsoever. Now, enrolling and configuring are rather simple, so make sure to follow the steps we provided below and you should be done in a matter of seconds:
- First, disable all customized proxy and DNS settings on your PC.
- Open ExpressVPN website and sign in with your credentials.
- Click on DNS settings.
- Enable ”Automatically register my IP address” and click on Register my IP address.
- Close settings and open the ExpressVPN desktop client.
4: Check the connection
Whenever you troubleshoot anything even remotely dependent on connection, ensure that the connection itself is fully functional. Namely, even though this error is specific for ExpressVPN, the causes might vary. And if we want to be meticulous, there are some things to check before moving on to another step.
The procedure is fairly the same and it encompasses standard steps. We provided them below.
- Restart your PC, router, and modem.
- Measure your bandwidth speed and, more importantly, a latency of the data package without the ExpressVPN.
- Use Wired instead of wireless connection.
- Run Windows Connection Troubleshooter.
- Flush DNS:
- Open Command Prompt by right-clicking on the Start.
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- After that, type in the following command and press Enter:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- Restart ExpressVPN service.
- In the Windows Search bar, type Services and open Services from the list of results.
- Locate ExpressVPN service, right-click on it and open Properties.
- Stop the service and start it again.
- Restart your PC and look for changes.
- Update your router.
- Reset router to factory settings.
5: Disable antivirus and firewall
These tweaks kind of fall in the connection category, but we decided to give them an extra attention as they require explanation. Namely, a third-party antivirus in its classical sense should not interfere with ExpressVPN.
However, many of them (as BitDefender which is true multifunctional security powerhouse) come in suits with the dedicated firewall for the sake of extra protection. And that’s something which gladly interferes with VPN solutions. So, make sure to either disable the antivirus feature or, even better, to whitelist the ExpressVPN and let it communicate freely.
Windows 10-wise, make sure to do the same with the built-in Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall can be also disabled but we won’t recommend it. Whitelisting is, here as well, a much better option. If you’re not sure how to let the ExpressVPN client communicate through the Windows Firewall boundaries, follow the steps below:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Allow and select Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click on the Change settings button.
- Find ExpressVPN on the list and check the box beside it. Also, make sure that both Public and Private networks are enabled.
- Confirm changes and try connecting through VPN again.
6: Send a ticket to ExpressVPN support
Finally, if none of the suggested solutions did you any good, the last thing you can do is contact the ExpressVPN support. In regards to customers support, ExpressVPN is one of the leaders in the market. So, you can hope for the proper and timely support and the swift resolution of the problem at hand. You can contact them through email or via the Live Chat option available on the official website.
With that, we can conclude it. We hope you’ll find the cure for the ache within the aforementioned steps. In case you are familiar with an alternative solution or have a question regarding the ones we presented, feel free to share them with us. That can be done in the comments section, just below.
FAQ: Learn more about ExpressVPN unexpected error
- Why is ExpressVPN not connecting?
Most likely there is an Internet connection issue preventing the device from connecting to any server. If not, relaunch the app to try connecting again.
- How do I reinstall ExpressVPN?
You can follow the complete instructions to uninstall and reinstall ExpressVPN.
- Does ExpressVPN hide your IP address?
Any VPN will change your visible IP address and hide the real one. The good ones, even offer protection from leaks. See our list of top VPN for privacy.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in March 2018 and was revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.