FIX: ExpressVPN won’t install in Windows
ExpressVPN is one of the best and most popular VPN services available in the privacy software market today.
With thousands of servers globally, excellent customer support, strong encryption, fast speeds, and ability to unblock content sites like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime, among other features.
It has a slick interface, allows Bittorrent and other P2P services, despite being pricey.
When ExpressVPN won’t install on your computer, then it is hard to enjoy these otherwise amazing features, and led by frustration, you may think of installing a different VPN.
Occasionally, when you try to install or even activate your ExpressVPN software, you may get errors, or you can even get stuck on the activating screen.
Nevertheless, there are well known workarounds that will get the client working on up to Windows 10, before you even think of abandoning it altogether.
FIX: ExpressVPN won’t install
This article looks at how to troubleshoot when ExpressVPN won’t install either because you cannot activate it, or you can’t install due to incomplete uninstall, you’re stuck on the activating screen, or get a .net error when installing the application.
- Unable to install ExpressVPN due to incomplete uninstall
- You’re stuck on Activation screen
- Uninstall the ExpressVPN app
- You get a .Net error when installing ExpressVPN app
1. Unable to install ExpressVPN due to incomplete uninstall
When this happens, you’ll get an error message in your installer log that says, “Error 1721: there is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: Uninstall3x, location: C:Program Files (x86)ExpressVPNUninstall.exe, command: /S”_?=C:Program Files (x86)ExpressVPN””
Here’s how to resolve it:
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type regedit and press Enter then give permissions by pressing yes or typing your password
- Under Registry Editor, go to Computer and double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Find ExpressVPN directly beneath Software (you can also go to Software>Classes>ExpressVPN)
- Right click on ExpressVPN and select Delete. After deleting, you won’t see ExpressVPN under Wow6432Node.
If it is still listed, do the following:
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and press enter to open the Network Connections Window
- Right click on WAN miniport labeled ExpressVPN and select Delete
— ALSO READ: Fix: VPN error on Windows 10
2. If you’re stuck on Activation screen
If you get stuck on the ‘Activating, please wait…’ screen, do the following to resolve the issue and install ExpressVPN over again:
- On the taskbar, right click on ExpressVPN and select Quit ExpressVPN
- Launch ExpressVPN again
If this doesn’t work, or the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall ExpressVPN as described in the next solution.
If ExpressVPN continues making problems, try another tool. We strongly recommend installing Cyberghost (77% flash sales). It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
3. Uninstall the ExpressVPN app
You can uninstall the app and sign in again to your account, then select Set up ExpressVPN, find the latest version and connect again.
Here’s how to do it:
- Right click Start and select Programs and Features
- Find ExpressVPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- In the SetUp Wizard, click You’ll get a notification after a successful uninstall, so click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the ExpressVPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window
- Under Network Connections, right click on the WAN Miniport labeled ExpressVPN
- Select Delete
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click Network & Internet
- Select VPN. If you see ExpressVPN as available, delete it
Once deleted, reinstall the app again and see if it helps.
- ALSO READ: What to do when antivirus blocks VPN
4. You get a .Net error when installing ExpressVPN app
Some users may get the error: ‘could not load file assembly ‘sorttbls.nlp’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.’
This is caused by an issue with your .Net framework, as the file sorttbls.npl or its dependencies is missing or it is corrupted. .Net Framework should be enabled on your machine, so do the following:
- Click Start and select Control Panel
- Click Programs
- Click Turn Windows features on or off
- Find .Net Framework 3.5 and expand to view the associated components
- Check each box, including .NET framework 3.5 and click OK
- Restart your computer
- Ensure you uninstall existing versions of ExpressVPN then reboot to refresh the system cache
- Install ExpressVPN again
If ExpressVPN won’t install after trying these steps above, you can contact their support team with your specific issues.
Otherwise, do let us know in the comments section whether any of these helped you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Chrome VPN issues and how to resolve them
- ExpressVPN won’t work with Netflix? Here are 9 solutions to fix it
- ExpressVPN stuck on connecting? Here’s a brief resolution
- Fix: Can’t access TCP/IPv4 properties on a PPTP VPN connection on Windows 10
Despite being excellent browsers, Google Chrome and Mozilla fire are occasionally affected by some bugs. For example, the address bar doesn’t search in these browsing […]