- Hulu actively blocks VPN, proxy, and any other tool designed to change your IP address. It does its best to prevent you from accessing Hulu streaming content outside the US.
- If you have tried and failed using a VPN to get on Hulu by masking your true location, we're here to help. Get started by dropping any free VPN app you might be using. They rarely work.
- Your VPN's DNS servers could be already blacklisted by Hulu without realizing it. Easily test this by using custom DNS servers, such as Google Public DNS, Cloudflare, or OpenDNS.
- Other solutions you can try: change your VPN protocol and US server, disable WebRTC in your web browser to prevent IP leaks, reinstall your VPN's TAP drivers, and more.
Hulu is a leading video-on-demand platform, but it’s only available to US residents. In fact, you need some form of payment issued in the United States in order to sign up for an account.
But it’s frustrating when you travel outside the US and can no longer access your favorite movies and TV series., although you have an active subscription plan.
Unfortunately, Hulu actively blocks any forms of Internet circumvention tools designed to conceal your IP address and change your geo-location, including VPN and proxy.
If you tried using a VPN to watch Hulu but failed, you probably ended up with an error message on your screen.
Discover how to troubleshoot this problem using 8 foolproof solutions.
How can I fix the Hulu VPN error?
Uninstall any free VPN or proxy tool
If you can’t watch Hulu with a VPN or proxy that’s free to use, you shouldn’t be surprised that it doesn’t work.
If Hulu is good enough to detect and block premium VPN services like NordVPN or Surfshark, then it will certainly flag a free tool that uses public IP addresses.
Use a premium VPN with advanced features
It’s tricky to choose a paid VPN service if it doesn’t allow you to test it for free. Luckily, there are a few that come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so there are no strings attached.
When it comes to a VPN capable of unblocking Hulu, we recommend Private Internet Access.
It’s wrapped in a user-friendly interface, has VPN servers in 14 US cities, and can be installed on all your devices: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and even routers.
But there’s a catch. Because Hulu block PIA’s DNS servers, you have to set custom DNS servers.
Here’s how you can easily do it on Windows 10:
- Sign up for a PIA subscription plan
- Download and install PIA for Windows 10
- Launch the app and log in with your credentials
- Go to Settings > Network
- At Name Servers, select Set Custom DNS
- Set Primary DNS to 18.104.22.168
- Set Secondary DNS to 22.214.171.124
- Click Proceed
- Return to the PIA main window and click on VPN server
- Select a US location from the list of servers
- Press the big power button to connect
- Try to access Hulu in your web browser
More about PIA:
- Unblock Hulu, Netflix US, HBO Max, Peacock
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
- Pay with a credit card, PayPal, crypto
Private Internet Access
Use a reliable VPN like PIA to successfully unblock Hulu without encountering network connection problems.
Change your DNS servers
If your VPN service doesn’t allow custom DNS servers like PIA, you can manually adjust DNS settings on your device.
Here’s how you can quickly do this on Windows 10:
- Right-click the Start button and select Network Connections
- Click Change adapter options
- Right-click your Internet connection and pick Properties
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Set Preferred DNS server to 126.96.36.199
- Set Alternate DNS server to 188.8.131.52
- Click OK
- Make sure the VPN is using the computer’s DNS servers
- Connect to a VPN server and try to access Hulu again
We suggest using Google Public DNS because it provides free, publish, speedy, and secure DNS servers that aren’t flagged by Hulu.
Change the VPN protocol
The VPN protocol tells your VPN server how it will connect to a remote host by taking into account the encryption and authorization mode. Examples include PPTP, SSTP, and IKEv2.
Each VPN protocol uses specific ports that might get automatically blocked by Hulu. What you can do here is explore the various VPN protocols supported by your virtual private network solution.
And, if your VPN supports obfuscation mode, you can also try using it to disguise your VPN traffic (PIA doesn’t).
Disable WebRTC in your web browser
WebRTC leaks are one of the reasons why your VPN isn’t seemingly hiding your location. It’s not its fault, but your browser’s.
Make sure to disable WebRTC in the web browser you use to watch Hulu. Look up free browser extensions in Chrome Web Store or Firefox Add-ons since there are numerous options.
But first, check the settings of your VPN browser extension (if you have one). For example, Private Internet Access (buy here) has native support for deactivating WebRTC on Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.
Check your VPN app
You should always be using the latest version of your VPN application. Otherwise, you could miss out on important security patches that fix any IP leaks, including on Hulu.
While doing this, it’s also a good idea to reinstall the TAP drivers for your VPN.
In Private Internet Access (buy here), you can do this easily straight from the Help section, so you don’t have to manually change any network settings on your computer.
Turn on the VPN kill switch
The VPN kill switch protects you from IP leaks in case your VPN connection drops unexpectedly.
Without this feature, your computer could expose your true IP address in the time it takes to reconnect to the VPN server, resulting in Hulu connectivity issues.
Once again, we have to go with Private Internet Access (buy here) because it’s intuitive and effective:
- Access the PIA settings
- Go to Privacy
- Set VPN Killswitch to Always
Use split tunneling
Some people don’t want to use a VPN to watch Hulu but for any other activity on their computer, like anonymous torrenting while they’re watching a movie.
If you’re one of these users looking for a simple workaround, there’s nothing better than VPN split tunneling.
It lets you choose which apps will be connected to the VPN server and which of them will continue using the public Internet directly.
Here’s how to set up split tunneling in PIA. Keep in mind that you must be in the US for this to work:
- Go to Settings > Network
- Turn on Split Tunnel
- Click Add Application
- Select a web browser that you will use to watch Hulu
- Set it to Bypass VPN
- Restart PIA and the web browser
- Connect to a VPN server
To recap, if you have trouble connecting to Hulu over a VPN on your device, make sure to deactivate any free VPN or proxy tool you might be using since it will likely get flagged.
Instead, use a premium VPN service that can actually bypass the Hulu proxy error. You can also change your DNS servers, use a different VPN protocol, and disable WebRTC leaks in your web browser.
Make sure to update your VPN app to the latest version and reinstall its TAP drivers. Lastly, you can turn on the VPN kill switch or use split tunneling mode.
Did these solutions help you? What other workarounds have you found to successfully connect to Hulu through a VPN? Let us know in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t access Hulu using ExpressVPN, try connecting to another VPN server, changing your VPN protocol, and switching to custom DNS servers.
Yes, you can bypass the Hulu proxy error using NordVPN. It has custom DNS settings, obfuscation mode, and Double VPN mode which can help you out.
To successfully use a VPN on Hulu, consider investing in a premium VPN service instead of opting for free alternatives that won’t work. You can also use different DNS settings if the VPN’s DNS servers get blocked by Hulu.