- Using a VPN to unblock restricted content on Hulu is a common solution for streaming consumers these days.
- If your tool of choice won't work with Hulu all of a sudden, try these tested fixes below.
- Check out more handy solutions in our Streaming Hub or our VPN Software Hub.
- Don't forget to review our VPN Guides as well.
The difficulty, though, lies in the fact that not all VPNs are able to access such content streaming sites because the sites themselves also block unauthorized access especially in countries where they’ve placed restrictions on their content.
Ideally, using a VPN should help you gain access while hiding your identity and location details, but when you find the VPN is not working with such sites, then it’s time you use some quick fixes to resolve the issue depending on the VPN you’re using.
This article has solutions that you can use when your VPN won’t work on Hulu.
Why does Hulu not work with VPN? Here’s how to fix it:
- Preliminary checks
- Change your VPN
- Check your IP address
- Flush the DNS
- Manually configure DNS settings
- Manually configure proxy settings
1. Preliminary checks
If you get an error message saying: You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy or You’ll need to disable your anonymizer when trying to access Hulu, contact your VPN tech support team for direct assistance before trying the solutions below.
2. Change your VPN
If your current VPN is not working with Hulu, and you’ve tried all you can in your capacity to resolve it but it won’t budge, you can try using Private Internet Access.
Optimized for streaming, torrenting, and P2P sharing, this world-class VPN will unblock Hulu and any other streaming services and allow you to enjoy a truly liberated, censorship, geo-targeting, and ISP throttling-free web experience.
Gaining access to otherwise restricted Hulu content is just one of the many advantages PIA has to offer.
This VPN protects your privacy on a multi-layer basis, using the highest encryption available, plus it keeps your IP address hidden and provides Wi-Fi protection if you’re in a public area.
It also comes with a strict no-logs policy and access to over 3292 secure VPN servers in the most popular countries. PIA lets you access geo-restricted content on Hulu, protect all your devices, block ads and malware, and stream at the highest possible speeds you can get on a VPN.
Unlimited bandwidth, ultra-fast download speeds, and an impressive network of gateway tunnels guarantee fast, steady, and reliable connections for a buffering-free Hulu experience each and every time.
Private Internet AccessUnblock Hulu and forget all about geo-targeting and buffering with streaming-optimized PIA!
3. Check your IP address
If your VPN is not working with Hulu, check your IP address for information such as your city or region (country) next to the location you selected when you connected with your VPN.
If it shows a location near you, it means you’re not connected to a server location associated with your VPN, so try connecting again.
4. Flush the DNS
In some countries, DNS entries saved from your ISP on your computer may be intentionally wrong, as an additional method of blocking Hulu and other sites. In this case, flush your DNS cache so your computer can automatically access your VPN’s DNS for the proper/correct entries.
Here’s how to do it in Windows:
- Right-click Start
- Select Command Prompt (Admin)
- The Command Prompt black screen will open
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. You should get a confirmation that says: Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache
5. Manually configure DNS settings
Your computer may not automatically connect to your VPN’s DNS servers, so you need to configure it with your VPN’s DNS servers’ IP addresses, manually.
Manually configuring your computer with other DNS server addresses helps you access Hulu or other blocked sites, and enjoy faster connection speeds.
Here’s how to do it in Windows:
Step 1: Open Network Connections settings
- Right-click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- In the Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right-click the connection and select Properties
Step 2: Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 22.214.171.124; Alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199
If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206) enter and press OK; Level3 DNS (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168) enter and press OK
Once you have configured your computer for your VPN’s DNS servers, flush old DNS entries again as described in the solution above.
6. Manually configure proxy settings
A proxy server is the go-between your computer and the internet and is used to hide your real location so you can access websites such as Hulu, or others that would otherwise be blocked. If you have internet connection issues, it is possible that it has been set to use a proxy server.
Ensure your browser is set to auto-detect proxy or no proxy, then use the instructions to manually configure proxy settings for your browser.
Here’s how to disable proxy settings for Internet Explorer:
- Click Tools
- Select Internet Options
- Go to the Connections tab
- Click LAN settings
- Uncheck all the options except Automatically detect settings and click OK for all
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix the VPN Hulu not working issue, by leaving a comment in the section below.
FAQ: Learn more about using VPNs with Hulu
- How does Hulu know I’m using a VPN?
It doesn’t. Nevertheless, like all major streaming services, Hulu practices blacklisting in order to prevent VPN users from accessing their restricted content and this is why IP addresses that are shared between many users get blocked.
- How do I trick a location on Hulu?
You can bypass geo-restrictions and unblock Hulu content by using a VPN to hide/replace your IP address with an IP from one of the VPN‘s servers. To improve your pool of options, make sure you choose a VPN powered by a generous server network with global coverage such as PIA VPN.
- How do I stop Hulu from buffering?
VPNs are also excellent for reducing buffering, latency, and streamlining your connection. You can improve your Hulu experience by choosing a VPN with fast and reliable servers, unlimited bandwidth, and high download speeds such as PIA.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.