- The installing and configuring procedure of the TunnelBear VPN should be easily completed.
- When this doesn’t happen, choose a more reliable VPN solution or reboot your system.
- There are so many other quick fixes to apply when things don’t go as planned. Visit VPN Errors & Solutions in that regard.
- We know everything about VPNs and so can you. Just visit our VPN Guides Hub next.
TunnelBearVPN is one of the most popular VPN solutions nowadays, with both free and premium plans.
In general, the installing and configuring procedure is rather simple and shouldn’t take too much of his/her precious time.
However, there seems to be an issue with the TunnelBear’s client installation on the Windows platform.
Namely, users are unable to install the TunnelBearVPN for no apparent reason and they can’t bear with that (no pun intended).
In order to address this, we provided 3 viable solutions for the issue at hand. If you’re stuck on the installation screen, make sure to check them out below.
What to do when TunnelBearVPN won’t install on your PC?
- Give a try to a different VPN
- Reboot your system
- Run the installer as an administrator
- Install TunnelBearVPN in Safe Mode
1. Give a try to a different VPN
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a widely-respected Kape Technologies virtual private network provider that can spare you the trouble of looking for any troubleshooting tips.
Instead of browsing the Internet from 23 countries (as TunnelBear users can), PIA has 3200+ servers to choose from in no less than 46 countries.
Moreover, you can protect up to 10 devices simultaneously. Even if you don’t own so many gadgets, chances are you have a family member with a phone eagerly waiting to boost his privacy.
Finally, do keep in mind the 30-day guarantee to get your money back if you dislike the service or can’t get used to it.
However, that’s unlikely to happen since the customer service staff is always friendly, the install is intuitive, and errors are an exception.
Private Internet AccessInstalling Private Internet Access will take mere minutes. Claim the best deal right away!
2. Reboot your system
Firstly, there’s always that slightest chance that the background application is taking its turn with Microsoft Installer.
Since this service can operate with only one installing program at the time, we have ourselves an obvious reason why the TunnelBearVPN desktop client won’t install.
You should wait for some time and try again. If the problem is consistent, make sure to restart your PC and give it another try.
Also, make sure that you’ve acquired the latest and supported version for your Windows iteration.
3. Run the installer as an administrator
System security services, especially UAC (User Account Control) tend to block the installation of untrusted third-party applications in order to prevent them from making changes to your system.
Now, as you’ve probably figured it out on your own, this feature has a mind of its own and often blocks trusted programs, which TunnelBearVPN certainly is.
In order to avoid this, you can either lower the UAC’s security bar or, better, run the installer with the administrative permission.
Also, you should, for the remainder of the installation process, disable the third-party antivirus and move from there.
Here’s how to lower the UAC bar:
- In the Windows Search bar, type UAC and open Change user account control settings.
- Lower the slider to the bottom Never notify me option.
- Confirm changes and restart your PC.
- Try installing TunnelBearVPN again.
And here’s how to run the TunnelBearVPN installer with the administrative permission:
- Download the latest version of TunnelBearVPN for Windows, here.
- Navigate to Downloads, right-click on the installer, and open Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box and select earlier Windows iteration.
- Check the Run this program as an administrator box.
- Confirm changes and double-click the installer to run it.
4. Install TunnelBearVPN in Safe Mode
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Open Update & Security.
- Select Recovery from the left pane.
- Under the ”Advanced startup” section, click Restart now.
- When the Advanced Startup menu appears, choose Troubleshoot.
- Open Advanced Options.
- Select Startup settings and then Restart.
- When the Startup settings menu appears, choose Safe Mode by pressing F4 or Safe Mode with Networking by pressing F5.
- Run the TunnelBearVPN installer.
If you’re still bothered by the same issue and the TunnelBearVPN just refuses to install, there’s still one final way to do it.
However, this can be done by accessing the system’s Safe Mode, which can be an issue on Windows 10 because of the Fast Boot feature.
Nonetheless, once you’re there (and we’ll show you how to get there), the installation should be a piece of cake.
That should do it. In case you have any questions or suggestions regarding the installing of TunnelBearVPN on your system, make sure to tell us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about TunnelBear
- Does TunnelBear change your IP address?
TunnelBear claims to offer full anonymity across your entire network, so be sure that it does change your IP address.
- Is TunnelBear a good VPN?
TunnelBear is a decent VPN with multiple subscription plans to choose from, yet there are better choices on the market. We recommend PIA in that regard.
- How do I know TunnelBear is working?
To confirm that TunnelBear is working, the map must be green and the Bear should sit happily in the tunnel you’ve chosen.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.