Java browser plug-ins might have gone out of fashion, but there are still many programs that run off Java. You can open Java programs with JAR files.
However, some Java software users can’t always open JAR programs when the “Error: Unable to access jarfile” error message pops up. These are a few resolutions for the jarfile error message.
How can I get rid of Unable to access jarfile error on Windows 10?
- Add the Most Update Java Version to Windows
- Select Java as the Default Program for JAR Files
- Select the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives Option
- Open the Jarfix Software
1. Add the Most Updated Java Version to Windows
First, check you have the most updated Java version installed. The most updated version is currently Java 8 161. This is how you can update Java in Windows 10.
- First, press the Win key + R keyboard shortcut to open Run.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Run text box, and click the OK button.
- Enter ‘Java‘ in the Search Programs search box as shown in the snapshot below.
- Then select Java to check what version you have. The version is shown at the bottom of the window and listed in a Version column.
- If you don’t have the most update Java version, press the Uninstall button.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- Open this webpage in your browser.
- Press the Free Java Download button to save the JRE setup wizard.
- Thereafter, a dialog box might open from which you can press a Run button launch the JRE installer. If not, open the folder you saved the setup wizard in, right-click the Java install wizard and select Run as administrator.
- Press the Install button on the setup wizard’s window to install Java.
Nothing happens when you click on Run as administrator? Don’t worry, we’ve got the right fix for you.
2. Select Java as the Default Program for JAR Files
Jarfile error messages usually pop up when Java isn’t configured as the default software for a JAR file. Instead, an archive utility might be the associated default program for JARs.
So selecting Java as the default program for a JAR file might kick-start its program. This is how you can configure the default software for the JAR format.
- Open File Explorer and the folder that includes your JAR file.
- Right-click the JAR file and select Open with > Choose default program > Choose another app to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Select Java if it’s listed among the default programs.
- If Java isn’t listed among the programs, select the Look for another app on this PC option.
- Then browse to the Java folder, select Java and press the Open button.
- Press the OK button on the Open with window.
- Click the JAR to launch its program.
3. Select the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives Option
- The “unable to access jarfile” error message can also pop up when the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option isn’t selected. To select that option, open File Explorer.
- Click the View tab and press the Options button to open the window directly below.
- Select the View tab shown directly below.
- Select the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives Files and Folders option.
- Press the Apply button.
- Press the OK button to close the window.
4. Open the Jarfix Software
Jarfix is a lightweight program designed to fix Java programs that aren’t starting. The program fixes JAR filetype associations.
Click jarfix.exe on this webpage to save the software to a folder. Then you can click the jarfix.exe to open the window below and fix the JAR association. That’s all there is to it, and there are no further options to select on the Jarfix window.
Those are a few resolutions that might fix the “unable to access jarfile” error and kick-start your JAR software. For further details on how to launch JAR files in Windows, check out this article.
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Jar files not opening on Windows 10 [FIX]
- How to Install .Jar Files on Windows 10
- How to open EMZ files on Windows 10 PCs