It seems that Microsoft is trying to lure VMware users to Hyper-V with its a migration offer that offers VMware customers Windows Server Datacenter licenses for free when they buy Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and Software Assurance.
This offer will be available from September 1, 2016 until June 30, 2017. All customers who will switch from VMware to Hyper-V will benefit from this promotion, only needing to pay for Software Assurance which provides new product version rights, end-user training, support, deployment planning, and a unique set of services and technologies.
System Center 2016 and Windows Server 2016 will be released next month at the Ignite conference. With them, Microsoft will include some new security capabilities such as Just Enough and Just in Time Administration, Shielded Virtual Machines along with other security features and options.
Microsoft says that VMware always includes the total cost of ownership. This is the reason why it launched a Microsoft vs. VMware TCO comparison tool that calculates the software requirements from Microsoft with Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, System Center 2016 Datacenter, and Operations Management Suite and VMware with vCloud Suite, vSAN, NSX, and vCloud Air Disaster Recovery.
Here are the steps that you will need to take in order to be eligible for the VMware migration offer:
- Engage your account executive or sales rep to begin the process.
- Identify virtualized workloads to migrate and specify the Windows Server Datacenter cores required.
- Provide your account executive proof of eligibility. (Offer applicable to customers migrating from VMware to Microsoft).
- Engage your partner to start the migration process.
- Receive free Windows Server Datacenter licenses with Software Assurance and pay only the cost of Software Assurance to kick start your migration.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- VMware Workstation 12 Pro, Player 12 And Fusion 8 Now Support Windows 10
- Windows 10 devs get Hyper-V containers and PowerShell Dev perks
- Microsoft Explains how Client Hyper-V Works in Windows 8.1, 10