A function key on a computer or laptop keyboard refers to all the keys that use to trigger a specific system command or to perform an action, like disabling the touchpad.
There are 12 such keys on a keyboard and you can easily recognize them by the name printed over, from F1 to F12. There is also another sign printed, such as the Bluetooth icon.
Depending on the computer program, a function key can perform different tasks if pressed alone. But, if you press them at the same time with the Fn key, you will actually trigger another action.
For instance, if the sound icon is printed over the F2 and F3 keys, you can increase or decrease the volume by pressing the F2/F3+Fn hotkey at the same time.
Quick tips for function keys and keyboard
- Function key lock on Windows 10: Fn key lock
- How to change function keys in Windows 10 [Fn key settings]
- FULL FIX: Function keys not working on Windows 10 laptop
- Laptop keyboard lights won’t turn on [FULL FIX]
- How to disable the Windows Key in Windows 10 [FULL GUIDE]
For any other issues you may encounter with your computer keys, don’t hesitate to visit our Keyboard Troubleshooting section.