New HDMI 2.1 features include 10K video, Game Mode VRR, and more
The HDMI Forum has just outlined the major aspects of the upcoming HDMI Version 2.1 standard at CES 2017. By upgrading the video standard to 2.1, users expect HDMI to unlock the kind of throughput and features capable of delivering top-notch content with higher-resolution and faster-refresh screens for years to come.
The most attention-grabbing upgrades are:
- A lot of extra pixels: HDMI version 2.1 compatible displays will be able to support a resolution as high as “10K”.
- The introduction of a variable refresh rate titled “Game Mode VRR”. With this, gamers will go gaga as they can now toggle a “V-sync” mode in games, considered essential for stopping annoying screen-tearing artifacts.
- Support for 8K (33 million) video with HDR at a 60Hz refresh rate.
- Support for 4K (8.3 million pixels) video at a 120Hz refresh.
- Support for BT2020 color spaces along with new features such as dynamic HDR.
- eARC for audio device detection.
- Object oriented audio (e.g. Dolby Atmos).
Even a quick look at this list can tell us that the specifications are created with the future in mind. Us tech lovers have just recently gotten used to 4K content and have a long way to go until 8k becomes the new standard. Excitingly, HDMI2.1 guarantees dynamic visual metadata for videos and will become a standard feature.
Moreover, HDMI 2.1 is still backward compatible with earlier specifications, cables, and devices built with the previous HDMI standards including Ethernet channel and inter-device communication. Despite that, existing devices will be able to use HDMI 2.1’s 48 Gbps cables but will not be forward compatible.
All this and more will be officially unveiled in early Q2 2017, followed by availability to all HDMI Adopters for testing.
Related Stories you should read:
- How to Fix HDMI Output Problems in Windows 10
- New USB-C to HDMI cable connects USB-C devices to HDMI displays
- Fix: Connection of HDMI Cable From Laptop to TV has no Sound in Windows 8, 10
The September 10 Patch Tuesday for Windows 10 version 1903 has arrived. Many users were thrilled about KB4515384, hoping the update will solve many problems. […]
Windows 10 version 1903 has a new non-security update that addresses a problem in which users are unable to use USB Audio 2.0 multi-channel microphones […]
Cisco AnyConnect is VPN software that incorporates advanced protection for blocking malware at endpoints. However, some users have said that they can’t install or launch […]