If you are looking for an affordable, stylish notebook, you now have six choices shipping with Intel’s seventh-generation processor thanks to HP: the tech giant refreshed its family of Pavilion and Pavilion x360 notebooks during the Coachella Music and Arts Festival.
The devices include three “vanilla” Pavilion units at $599 and three x360 convertible units at $349. HP says the refresh is meant to deliver thinner and lighter form factors with improved battery life and better visual appeal. Here’s the company’s official announcement:
“The new Pavilion convertibles and laptops deliver a rich set of features and performance options previously reserved for higher-end products, including the addition of premium materials like 3D metal to help remove all visual seams, USB-C for more connectivity options and active pen support to bring Windows Ink 1 to life on Pavilion x360s.”
According to HP, the refreshed vanilla Pavilion units borrow some of their design elements from both the Spectre and Envy. HP also enveloped the keyboard with a metal faceplate and infused the Pavilion units with different “hues, finishes, and textures” for a sophisticated design. The Envy family also lends its Lift hinge to the redesigned Pavilion products for a better airflow to the bottom vents.
Under the hood, the refreshed Pavilions include the seventh-generation Intel Celeron and Core i3/i5/i7 processors, and E2/A10 APUs from AMD. The laptops also feature USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C port, two USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A ports, HDMI output, and an SD card reader. The color options include blue, silk gold, orchid pink, mineral silver, and empress red. Other features include:
- All day battery life with up 10 hours3 and HP Fast Charge 4 (90% in 90 minutes) on select models
- Latest 7th Gen Intel Core i3-i7 processors5
- Storage options: Dual storage up to 256 GB SSD+1TB HDD or single storage up to 512GB SSD or up to 2TB HDD on select models 6
- Choice of AMD Radeon & NVIDIA GeForce Discrete Graphics
- Enhanced 2x2ac WiFi option7
- HP Wide Vision camera or optional IR camera8 which supports Windows Hello
- Exceptional audio with dual speakers, HP Audio Boost, and tuning by the experts at B&O Play
Compared to the 2016 models, the updated Pavilions are smaller in size: the side bezel comes in at 13.99 mm and the top bezel measures 6.5mm. On the other hand, the Pavilion 14 2016 model measures 17.2 mm for the side bezel and 13.4 mm for the top bezel.