- Virtualization allows users to create virtual versions of software, hardware or entire computer systems.
- The key element in virtualization is the hypervisor which allows computers to host and run multiple operating systems.
- If your hypervisor is not running and you can't use virtualization tools on your PC, we compiled this list of 9 solutions to help you fix it.
- For more useful guides on the same topic, visit our Windows Server hub.
Solution 5 – Remove problematic updates
If the error started appearing recently, the problem might be a problematic Windows update. As you know, Windows installs updates automatically, and if the problem started appearing recently, it’s possible that the update is causing it.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you find the problematic update and remove it. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Update & Security section. To do that quickly, you can just use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Select View update history.
- You should now see a list of recent updates. Pay attention to the recent updates and memorize them or write them down. Now click Uninstall updates.
- List of recent updates will appear in the new window. To remove an update, double-click it and follow the instructions on the screen.
Once the update is removed, check if the problem is resolved. You might have to repeat this step a couple of times before you find the update that is causing the problem. Once you find the problematic update, be sure to write its name down.
Windows tends to install the missing updates automatically, so in order to prevent this problem from reappearing, we advise you to block this update from installing automatically.
Solution 6 – Use bcdedit command
If you’re having problems with virtualization, perhaps you can fix the problem simply by running a single command in Command Prompt. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt opens, run the following command:
- bcdedit /store c:BootBCD /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto
After the command is executed, check if the problem with virtualization is resolved. Alternatively, you can also use bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto command.
Solution 7 – Use DISM command
Sometimes you might get this error because certain components aren’t working properly. To fix this problem, it’s advised that you run the DISM command in order to enable the HyperV feature. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as an administrator.
- When Command Prompt starts, run this command:
- dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V -All
Once the command is executed, Hyper-V feature should be enabled and the problem with virtualization should be resolved.
Solution 8 – Check if your CPU supports virtualization
In order to use native virtualization in Windows 10, it’s necessary that your processor supports certain features. If it doesn’t have these features, you won’t be able to use the built-in virtualization.
To see if your processor supports virtualization, you’ll need to check its specifications on the manufacturer’s website. Alternatively, you can use third-party tools in check if your processor supports virtualization.
Many users reported that virtualization won’t work on their PC since the processor doesn’t support SLAT feature. If your processor doesn’t support the necessary features, you might have to change it in order to use built-in virtualization.
Solution 9 – Use third-party applications
If you didn’t manage to fix Hypervisor is not running error, perhaps you might want to try using a third-party solution as a workaround. Even if your processor doesn’t support the virtualization features, you should be able to create a virtual machine in Windows using the VMware Workstation software.
VMWare specializes in virtualization, and their software offers all the necessary features for both advanced and first-time users alike, so we strongly suggest that you try it out.
– Download VMware Workstation 15 Player from the official page
The hypervisor is not running error can cause problems but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hyper-V is Windows 10’s native hypervisor that allows users to create virtual machines on their computers. The hypervisor is available on Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education.
To check if your hypervisor is running on Windows 10, open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and check if the hypervisor is active.
In addition, the Task Manager can detect if it’s running on a physical or virtual machine. Under the Performance tab, the label Virtual machine: Yes is listed if a hypervisor has been detected.
The best virtual machines for Windows 10 are VMware Workstation, VirtualBox, Hyper-V, and Citrix Hypervisor. For more information about each machine, check out our in-depth guide.