- Instagram is blocked in several countries, but people can still access it by using a VPN to hide their IP addresses and spoof their geographical positions.
- It becomes problematic when Instagram is not working even on a VPN. But you can troubleshoot this issue with a bit of time and patience.
- To find out how to take advantage of this social service, bookmark our Instagram section.
- Join our VPN Troubleshooting Hub to repair any virtual private network issues.
Using a virtual private network solution helps not only with hiding your IP address and protecting your online privacy, but also with accessing blocked sites.
However, if Instagram is not working even after connecting to a VPN, it becomes truly problematic. You shouldn’t give up, though. Instead, try troubleshooting this issue and make the social media platform accessible on a virtual private network.
Check out our 12 possible solutions to get Instagram up and running again when staying connected to a VPN server.
Use a premium VPN like PIA
- Sign up for a PIA subscription plan.
- Download and install PIA on Windows 10.
- Click the PIA icon in the systray.
- Press the big power button to connect.
If you’re using a free VPN to access Instagram, you shouldn’t be surprised if the website doesn’t load. Free VPN services rarely do a good job of concealing your online identity. Besides, they’re filled with adware, which exposes you to various risks of malware infection.
Furthermore, free VPNs typically monitor, collect, and share your VPN traffic with third parties, such as marketing agencies. But a premium VPN is worth the money, and we can’t think of a better tool than PIA.
Private Internet Access
Free VPNs are dangerous, but a premium VPN is worth it. PIA can access blocked sites like Instagram while securing your online privacy and anonymity.
Change VPN servers
It’s possible that Instagram blocked access to a range of VPN IP addresses, including the one you’re connected to. This often happens when trying to use a free VPN to bypass firewalls.
That’s because free virtual private network solutions usually resort to free and public VPN IP addresses, which can be quickly detected and blocked by the remote host.
Connect to various VPN servers to test this theory and see if you can get your VPN working with Instagram.
Use the VPN's exclusive DNS servers
- Click PIA’s icon in the systray.
- Go to Settings > Network.
- Set Name Servers to PIA DNS.
Private Internet Access and other top premium VPNs have private DNS servers to reroute and protect your DNS requests from ISP monitoring. Make sure you’re using exclusive DNS instead of the operating system’s automatic DNS servers, which are set by your ISP (not secure).
However, if your VPN doesn’t have private DNS, the next best thing is to configure custom DNS servers.
The following DNS servers are free, public, and secure:
- Google Public DNS
- 126.96.36.199 preferred (IPv4)
- 188.8.131.52 alternate (IPv4)
- 2001:4860:4860::8888 preferred (IPv6)
- 2001:4860:4860::8844 alternate (IPv6)
- 184.108.40.206 preferred (IPv4)
- 220.127.116.11 alternate (IPv4)
- 2606:4700:4700::1111 preferred (IPv6)
- 2606:4700:4700::1001 alternate (IPv6)
- 18.104.22.168 preferred (IPv4)
- 22.214.171.124 alternate (IPv4)
- 2620:119:35::35 preferred (IPv6)
- 2620:119:53::53 alternate (IPv6)
Disable the VPN's adblocker
- Click PIA’s icon in the systray.
- Go to Settings > Privacy.
- Disable PIA MACE.
A few premium VPNs like PIA, NordVPN, or CyberGhost VPN have a built-in feature to protect your browsing sessions from malware and ads. However, this may cause Instagram to stop loading content properly.
But you can easily test this by turning off the VPN’s adblocker. If your VPN doesn’t have one, then disable your web browser’s adblocker.
Visit our Ad Blocker & AntiSpam Hub to find the best software tools for your PC.
Use more secure VPN protocols
Some VPNs still support old protocols like PPTP, because it’s fast, bypasses most firewall, and it’s compatible with all devices. However, PPTP has a low level of security and can be easily hacked.
Use Tor over VPN
- Connect to a PIA VPN server.
- Download Tor Browser and set it up on your PC.
- Start Tor Browser.
- Visit Instagram.
If social media and VPNs are blocked in your country, then you should take extra steps to preserve your online anonymity and bypass the Instagram block by joining the Tor network. On its own, Tor already offers a high level of online security and privacy.
You can use it without connecting to a VPN, but you can also use Tor with VPN simultaneously. Keep in mind that this might take a heavy toll on your network connection since it involves multiple layers of encryption.
Discover the best VPNs for Tor to increase your online privacy and security.
Connect to obfuscated VPN servers
- Sign up for a NordVPN subscription plan.
- Download and install NordVPN.
- Launch the app and go to Settings > Advanced.
- Switch on Obfuscated servers (OpenVPN).
- Connect to Obfuscated Servers.
Some users reported that Instagram has started blocking their VPN connection. In that case, you must hide the fact that you’re using a VPN by turning on obfuscation mode.
Basically, it makes your VPN traffic look like regular HTTPS traffic, so it won’t be blocked by Instagram. Few premium VPNs support obfuscated servers, such as NordVPN or Surfshark.
Connect to NordVPN's obfuscated servers to mask your VPN traffic and access Instagram without any issues.
Disable default gateway on remote network
- Right-click the Windows 10 Start button.
- Go to Network Connections > Change adapter options.
- Right-click your VPN connection and select Properties.
- Switch to the Networking tab, select IPv4, and click Properties.
- Click Advanced.
- Disable Use default gateway on remote network.
- Click OK.
Using the default gateway on the remote network is a safe option, but it might result in a slower Internet connection. You can also have trouble accessing certain websites, such as Instagram.
As such, you can get your VPN working properly again by disabling this option, thus forcing all network traffic to use the local default gateway.
Change the VPN media status
Check the hosts file
- Run the Windows 10 Notepad as admin.
- Press Ctrl + O, open the dropdown menu next to File name, and select All Files (*.*).
- Click inside the address bar and paste the following:
- Open the hosts file.
- Save a copy of the hosts file as backup.
- Delete any lines of code that contain instagram, such as:
- Save changes with Ctrl + S.
The Hosts file is a system document that contains the TCP/IP configurations. If your computer was used by someone else, they might have deliberately blocked access to Instagram using this file. In that case, you can’t access Instagram no matter what you do, not even with a VPN.
To fix this issue, you have to delete any lines of code associated with Instagram. However, you need administrator rights on your PC. If you need to restore settings and block Instagram again, just replace the current hosts file with the backup.
Find out more about how to edit the Windows 10 hosts file.
Flush DNS and reset Winsock
- Launch Command Prompt as admin.
- Paste the lines (press Enter between each line).
NETSH winsock reset catalog
NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log
NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log
- Restart your PC.
Check out more details about how to fix DNS issues in Windows 10.
- Use a different device to connect to the VPN and access Instagram.
- Update your drivers, operating system, and VPN desktop client.
- Reinstall the VPN.
- Manually create a VPN connection using the login credentials from the VPN provider.
- Set the time and date to your timezone.
- Temporarily disable your antimalware solution and/or firewall.
- Run an Internet speed test with VPN, without VPN, wirelessly, and in wired mode.
- If your VPN is slowing down the Internet, you need to speed it up.
- If your Wi-Fi isn’t working properly, switch to Ethernet. Or you can fix slow Wi-Fi on your laptop.
- If your Internet connection isn’t working properly in wired mode either, repair Ethernet problems.
- Use an Instagram app for Windows 10 instead of a web browser.
All aspects considered, there could be numerous reasons why Instagram is not working on the VPN. However, if you have a bit of time and patience, you can get to the root of the problem and try fixing it using the workarounds we provided above.
No matter what the issue is, keep in mind that you need a trustworthy VPN with high-speed VPN servers and excellent security features. And we can’t think of a better VPN than PIA.
FAQ: Learn more about VPN and Instagram
- Does VPN work for Instagram?
Yes, you can use a VPN to access blocked sites like Instagram.
- Can you be tracked if you use VPN?
Yes, you can get tracked on VPN in particular cases. For example, if you use a VPN to access Instagram, you will expose your true online identity once you log in with your Instagram account.
- Can Instagram ban your IP?
Any website can ban IP addresses, including Instagram, especially if there are too many connections originating from that IP. But you can get around this problem by connecting to another IP address using a VPN.