KB4467696 and KB4467691 fix AMD hardware security vulnerabilities
In this article, we are going to be looking at two more November 2018 Patch Tuesday updates – KB4467696 and KB4467691 – concerning Speculative Store Bypass. Both these updates are quality improvement updates. They do not contain any new operating system features.
Windows 10 KB4467696 and KB4467691
Improvements and Fixes
Both these update are working on the same problem:
Provides protections against an additional subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerability known as Speculative Store Bypass (CVE-2018-3639) for AMD-based computers. These protections aren’t enabled by default.
Known issues for KB4467696: OS Build 15063.1446:
After you install the August Preview of Quality Rollup or September 11, 2018 .NET Framework update, instantiation of SqlConnection can throw an exception.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming releas
Known issues for KB4467691: OS Build 14393.2608
- After installing this update, installation and client activation of Windows Server 2019 and 1809 LTSC Key Management Service (KMS) (CSVLK) host keys do not work as expected.
- After installing this update, Windows Server 2016 promotions that create non-root domains fail in forests in which optional features like Active Directory recycle have been enabled. The error is, “The replication operation encountered a database error”.
- After you install the August Preview of Quality Rollup or September 11, 2018 .NET Framework update, instantiation of SqlConnection can throw an exception.
As usual, Microsoft says they are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release for Issues #1, #2 and #3.
However, for Issue #2 , Microsoft suggests the following: “Use servers running Windows Server 2012 R2 or earlier to promote the first domain controller in a non-root domain until a resolution is available.”
Both updates include all or some of the following Security updates to:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Scripting
- Windows App Platform and Frameworks
- Windows Graphics
- Windows Wireless Networking
- Windows Kernel
- Windows Server
Please note the following from Microsoft:
Windows 10 version 1607, reached end of service on April 10, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Home or Pro editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats.
To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10. Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education editions will receive additional servicing at no cost. Please check Microsoft’s support pages here and here for more specific information.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- How to block Windows 10 October Update install
- Full Fix: Windows 10 automatic update problems
- Fix: Windows 10 Update hangs
Hamachi by LogMeIn is one of the most popular VPN services for teams, commonly used by the gaming community. It allows users to create LAN-like […]
The DNS server, short for Domain Name Server is where the management, maintenance and processing of Internet domain names take place. Or in simple terms, […]
Getting the perfect gift for FIFA fans is actually an easy job. Basically, you get them anything related to their favorite game and you’ll make […]