KB4515384 bricks your PIN? Try this fix
The September 10 Patch Tuesday for Windows 10 version 1903 has arrived. Many users were thrilled about KB4515384, hoping the update will solve many problems.
However, the effect was opposite for quite a few people. The new cumulative update affected the PIN login.
A user reported that KB4515384 made the PIN login unavailable on 3 out of 4 machines after installing the latest cumulative update.
Also, when he tried to uninstall the update, the issue persisted. The user tried various methods to solve the problem, such as changing some Policy Group settings, but nothing worked.
However, some users said that they fix the issue. Today we will show you what to do if the cumulative update KB4515384 made the PIN sign in unavailable.
KB4515384 prevents you to log in with PIN? Here’s the fix!
Delete everything from the Ngc folder
- Log in to Windows 10 with your password.
- Open File Explorer and go to C: > Windows > ServiceProfiles > LocalService > AppData > Local > Microsoft.
- Right-click on the Ngc folder and select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
- Find the Owner section at the top and click on the Change link.
- In Enter the object name to select type Administrators if you’re using an administrator account, or your user name.
- Click on Check Names and then OK.
- Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click on Apply and OK.
- Once you open Ngc folder, select all files and folders in it and remove them.
It is not the first time when a Windows update causes problems with the PIN login (and it might not be the last). Luckily, you can solve this issue with the method above.
Also, you can wait until Microsoft comes up with a patch to fix the problem. If you don’t want to wait and our solution doesn’t work for you, try other methods from our comprehensive guide.
Did you encounter a problem with your PIN? How did you solve it? Let us know in the comments section below!
RELATED ARTICLES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- What to do if Windows 10 won’t let you add a PIN
- Windows 10 keeps asking me to create a PIN [SOLVED]
- PIN sign in is not available in Windows 10