KNFB Reader app for blind users comes to Windows 10
The KNFB Reader app for the blind is one of the world’s popular solutions for helping blind and vision-impaired individuals access print content. The app works by taking a photo of any text and reading it aloud to the reader. Although the app was previously available on the Android and iOS, KNFB Reader is now on the Windows 10 ecosystem.
Created by Microsoft and the National Federation of the Blind and Sensotec, the app aligns the camera using audio and vibrational guidance in order to capture correct images for text-to-audio and Braille conversion.
Microsoft’s built-in voice then reads the text or displays it in Braille with a compatible screen reader. Other features of the app include:
- Verbal field of view report and tilt guidance by audio or vibration feedback to helpyou take the perfect picture of the document discreetly and without assistance
- Allows easy conversion of image PDF’s and other image files directly from a desktop or laptop PC, or of image files accessed through OneDrive or Dropbox
- Snap a picture and analyze a document instantly with your Surface Pro4 or other Windows 10 device with a mobile camera; external camera or scanner needed for other devices
- Integration with OneDrive and Dropbox for easy backup and sharing of images and documents between mobile and PC devices
- Processing of single- or multi-column documents, multiple fonts, and various kinds of formatting
- Fully integrated with Microsoft Narratorand compatible with other popular screen readers (NVDA, JAWSand Dolphin SuperNova, as well as with Microsoft text-to-speech voices. Braille support for Narrat
- Designed for speed and ease of use, with only four screens and lots of shortcut keys
- The perfect desktop PC or laptop application for making image-based PDF files more accessible
- The number of recognition languages available will vary based upon your installation of Windows. At the time of initial release only English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, Swedish, Russia
The KNFB Reader app is available to purchase and download for $99.99 from the Windows Store.
While trying to launch one of the Microsoft Office programs, you may encounter an error that won’t let you access any of the Microsoft Office […]
If you frequently send emails, especially in a business environment, then you most probably know Microsoft Outlook. This email client comes pre-installed with Microsoft Windows […]