- League of Legends is a great multiplayer game, but even the best games can still throw out error messages.
- Some users need to fix this League of Legends error message: A critical error has occurred and the process must be terminated.
- Deleting League of Legend's Config and Logs folders is one of the confirmed fixes for the critical error has occurred issue
- You can find more LoL fixes at our dedicated League of Legends page.
League of Legends is one of the biggest multiplayer battle arena games for Windows. However, some LoL players have encountered a critical error has occurred error when they try and start League of Legends matches.
If you’re getting a similar League of Legends critical error, check out some of these potential resolutions for it.
How do I fix the League of Legends critical error ?
1. Delete the Logs and Config Folders
- Deleting the Logs and Config folders is one of the more widely confirmed fixes for the League of Legends critical error.
- Press the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut.
- Then open your League of Legends folder in File Explorer.
- The default path for that folder might be something like C: > Program Files > Riot Games > League of Legends.
- Press the Ctrl key to select the Config and Logs subfolders within the League of Legends folder.
- Right-click the mouse and select Delete on the context menu.
2. Uninstall Geforce Experience
- Some users have said that uninstalling NVIDIA GeForce Experience fixed the critical error has occurred issue.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Open box and click OK to open the Control Panel as in the snapshot directly below.
- Select NVIDIA GeForce Experience listed on the uninstaller window.
- Click the Uninstall/Change option.
- Select Yes on any dialog box windows that might open.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
3. Turn off third-party antivirus utilities
The critical error has occurred error might be due to a third-party antivirus utility blocking League of Legends. So, turning off any third-party antivirus software.
You can usually do that by right-clicking a system tray icon for the antivirus utility and selecting an option there to temporarily disable it. In addition, select to disable an antivirus utility’s firewall if there’s an option for that on its context menu.
Then try playing the game without third-party antivirus software enabled.
4. Select the Run this program as administrator option
- Try running League of Legends as an admin by right-clicking its exe file in LoL folder and selecting Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab shown directly below.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator check box.
- In addition, select the Disable fullscreen optimization option on that tab.
- Click the Apply button to save the new settings.
- Click OK to close the window.
4. Reinstall League of Legends with the Hextech Repair Tool
- The Hextech Repair Tool is handy troubleshooting utility for League of Legends.
- Click Download for Windows on the Hextech Repair Tool page to get the installer for it.
- Open the downloaded Hextech Repair Tool setup utility to add the software to Windows.
- Then open the Hextech Repair Tool.
- Select the Reinstall option on the Hextech Repair Tool window.
- Click the utility’s Start button.
Those are a few of the potential resolutions that might resolve the critical error has occurred issue for some users.
In addition to those, try closing third-party background software that might be conflicting with League of Legends via Task Manager’s Processes tab. Alternatively, you could clean boot Windows.
FAQ: Learn more about League of Legends?
- What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a massive 3D MOBA game where you control a single champion and your end-goal is to destroy your enemy’s base in match-based sessions.
- Is League of Legends free?
Yes, League of Legends is completely free, although cosmetic items can also be purchased using real-life currency.
- Why is League of Legends so popular?
League of Legends is popular because it is constantly updated and thanks to the E-Sports environments in which it is very dedicated.