Some owners of the Lumia 650 can now use the old Double tap to wake feature thanks to a new update added via Windows Device Recovery Tool, also known as WDRT. This new update is not yet available for all Lumia 650 devices, but depending on the region you live in, you may or may not have the firmware update available.
The firmware update was first reported by some email tips, suggesting the update was was on its way. This new firmware update brings back Double Tap to Wake to modern Windows 10 Mobile devices while also fixing Wi-Fi issues that were causing disconnects. The firmware update for the Lumia 650 is 650 is 01078.00042.16352.50011, the same update that was already released some time ago for the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL.
Here is the full changelog Microsoft posted:
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results
- Support for double tap to wake enabled
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements
- Stability and reliability improvements
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.
By getting this firmware update via WDRT, it will reset your Lumia 650 to its factory settings. However, Microsoft is expected to release this firmware update over-the-air in the coming weeks, which will make sure that all the settings on your device stay untouched.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: