Maps for Windows 10 gets better navigation, multiple searches, and more
Microsoft just released a new update for its Maps app for Windows 10 and is available for users regardless of their system version.
Here’s what the latest update for Maps for Windows 10 brings:
- “Guided navigation updates: We have improved our overall guided drive experience. Specifically, the experience of turn-by-turn instructions is now optimized for glanceability, including phone landscape mode. It is also easier to use the Windows Maps app on phone with one hand now that we have positioned navigation at the bottom. Finally, we have also improved our guided transit experience, including notifications to get off the bus. You no longer have to worry about missing your stop even if you don’t have the Windows Maps app actively open.
- Multiple searches: Planning a trip or a night out? You can now view multiple searches in a single map view at the same time. We’ve made it easy to plan your activities with a map that also surfaces the right type of information at the right time: labels for your search results directly on the map (instead of numbers and a list) and visual effects when hovering or selecting a point of interest on the map or when you switch from one search list to another. Your active search results are always highlighted on the map
Improved detailed cards: Our improved detailed cards make it easy to find actions associated with a place of interest. Get walking, driving or transit directions and share, print or find nearby places to complete your night out! Quickly act on places. Get directions, check the menu, make reservations and more
- More offline maps support: We know offline capabilities are important to you, especially for on-the-go scenarios. In addition to the offline routing and search support we offer today, all your saved favorite places are now available offline. While planning, save the places you want to visit to your list of favorites and we will make sure, no matter where you are, that you can get to your destination regardless of connectivity. Worried you won’t remember to download the offline map before your trip? Cortana will make this easy for you by automatically reminding you to download the offline map before you take off on vacation.
- HERE Favorites migration: HERE recently announced they will end support for the following Windows 10 applications on June 30: HERE Drive, HERE Drive+, HERE Maps, HERE Transit and HERE City Lens. HERE is already pointing customers to use the Windows Maps application as a good replacement and we are working to make the transition easy by helping HERE customers migrate up to 300 of their HERE favorites right into our Windows Maps app on the phone.”
If you haven’t received this update yet, go to the Windows Store and check for updates.
Since Microsoft’s own Maps app for Windows 10 took over as the number one navigation app in the Store (since HERE Maps doesn’t exist in the Windows Store anymore), the company is trying hard to make it as good as possible. This is perfectly reasonable seeing as most users preferred HERE Maps. If Microsoft wants to keep its users happy, it needs to deliver a service of at least equal quality.
What do you think of Microsoft’s Maps app for Windows 10 now after all these updates? Is it finally a worthy successor to HERE Maps? Tell us your opinion in the comments below!
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Facebook Messenger app set to get video and voice call support
- Facebook app for Windows 10 receives cosmetic updates
- Unofficial UWP SoundCloud app, AudioCloud is now available for Windows 10
- Skype UWP app for Windows gets multiple calls, voicemail and translator support
- United States Postal Service release app for Windows 10
A blueprint is a proposal that shows the clients how the proposed floor or design plan will look like, followed by a 3D model of […]
The Christmas season is around the corner and one of the best parts about this season is the gift it brings. If you are planning […]
“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a popular English idiom and the quote perfectly describes digital marketing or marketing strategies in general that […]