Microsoft Edge beats Chrome and Firefox again in PC battery test
Months prior to the launch of the Creators Update for Windows 10, Microsoft promised to include battery life improvements to PCs alongside the update. Now, Microsoft claims a PC that runs its Edge browser will last 77% longer than Firefox and 35% longer than Chrome.
Microsoft recently measured the time it took three unplugged Surface Books to run through their batteries while streaming video from Vimeo for several hours with Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. The team performed the test on three identical Surface Books running build 15063 while connected to the internet.
Details of the test are as follows:
- Display brightness was set to 75%
- Volume was set to mute
- Location was disabled
- Bluetooth was disabled
- Quiet hours were enabled
- Updates were temporarily disabled
- Device was connected to a wireless network
- Ambient light sensor was disabled
- Defender was running normally and up to date
- Device was physically unplugged and running on battery
- Windows Battery Saver mode was set to activate at 20% battery
- The cache was cleared on each browser
The Redmond giant turned these tasks off since they could have possibly meddled with the tests. The Surface Books used for the test featured an i5-6300U processor at 2.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, and an Intel HD Graphics 520 GPU. The devices also ran Windows 10 Pro Build 15063.0 (Creators Update), Edge 40, Chrome 57 64-bit, and Firefox 52 32-bit.
Based on the results, the Surface that ran Edge lasted 12 hours and 31 minutes, while the one running Chrome died after nine hours and 17 minutes. Meanwhile, the Firefox unit lasted seven hours and four minutes.
Edge’s better battery performance is thanks to HTML 5, which improves the efficiency of iframes and optimizes hit testing.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Users confirm the Creators Update increases battery life by 20%
- Windows 10 Creators Update to bring battery life improvements for your laptop
- Windows 10 Creators Update CPU improvements make Microsoft Edge better
Millions of home users and businesses rely on Microsoft Excel to keep track of their expenditures and income, plan their budgets and take care of […]
There’s nothing more annoying than being unable to load your hard-earned in-game progress and getting the We couldn’t get your latest saved data error on […]
Sometimes while running server webpages you might get Data area passed to a system call is too small error. This error occurs when you’re connecting […]