- A recent study conducted by Microsoft has revealed the stress level when an employee is in meetings all day without taking a break.
- Remote working has helped raise the stress level since entering a new meeting is only one click away most times.
- The break feature allows its users to set up specific times for taking a break and clearing their minds.
- Setting up the breaks is simple and you can even choose to set up a break before the meeting or at the end of it.
A recent research conducted by Microsoft has shown how important it is to take regular breaks at work, for your health but also for increasing productivity.
Michael Bohan, senior director of Microsoft’s Human Factors Engineering group states:
Our research shows breaks are important, not just to make us less exhausted by the end of the day, but to actually improve our ability to focus and engage while in those meetings
Going from one meeting to another is definitely easier but not better in the long run since this kind of behavior is causing a lot of stress that has a negative impact on the overall work quality and efficiency.
Not taking regular breaks has even increased in remote working environments considering that entering into a new meeting is only one click away.
Microsoft Outlook break feature
The importance of taking breaks has also been pointed out by Kathleen Hogan, Chief People Officer at Microsoft:
In today’s world of remote and hybrid work, it’s not sufficient to only encourage self-care. We need to innovate and leverage technology to help employees operationalize much-needed breaks into their daily routines.
Microsoft Outlook launched the break feature that offers different options that will allow you to customize the rules as needed.
You can select how long you want the break to be, and even to indicate when you want the breaks to be: in the beginning or at the end of your meetings.
Setting up the rules for taking a break is quite simple:
- Open Outlook and go to File.
- Select Options and click on Calendar Options.
- In here check the Shorten appointments and meetings checkbox and also choose End early or Start late.
- Lastly, indicate the number of minutes for each event type and click OK to save the change.
Have you already tried these features? Your thoughts are welcomed, so don’t hesitate to leave us a message in the comments section below.