Microsoft loses Windows 10 forced upgrade suit and has to pay $10,000 — will this change its approach?
There was a time when technology news articles seemed to report only Windows 10 forced upgrade stories. Now, while the waters are a bit calmer, Microsoft is starting to see the consequences of its widely unpopular upgrade methods.
Up until now, Windows 10 users who were forced to upgrade took a deep a sigh of resignation and told themselves they’d get used to Windows 10 in time. Other hot-blooded users took the war to the forums against Microsoft.
However, one businesswoman decided to truly stand her ground against Microsoft’s Windows 10 upgrade practices and filed a lawsuit against the tech giant. In the end, she won and Microsoft paid her $10,000 in damages. The businesswoman claimed she never had the possibility to delay or refuse the Windows 10 upgrade which caused her computer to be extremely slow after removing all her client files, almost killing her business.
Interestingly enough, Microsoft dropped the right to an appeal and simply sent the money to the businesswoman, explaining it wanted to avoid the expense of further litigation.
Microsoft has long been accused of using unfair methods to extend its Windows 10 user pool, but the tech giant has so far denied such accusation. However, its behavior regarding this lawsuit leaves room for interpretation.
Has Microsoft learned its lesson from this event? Or will it continue to employ the same upgrade tactics?
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft is starting to remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before deadline
- Users to shell out $119 after free Windows 10 upgrade period ends
- Windows 10 upgrade to remain free after July 29 for assistive technology users only
- Windows 10’s popularity on Steam is rising high
- Windows XP standing the test of time despite no support from Microsoft
- Windows phone users can upgrade to Windows 10 for free even after July 29
- Microsoft Edge now has a 5.09% market share as users upgrade to Windows 10
Have you ever had There was a problem updating your controller error while you were trying to update your Xbox One controller? If the answer […]