The team behind AMD constantly work hard to bring us updates that will enhance the performance of AMD graphic cards. These updates typically fix bugs, issues with games, among other things. However, updating your AMD drivers could occasionally bring about some unwanted changes on your PC. For instance, sometimes there is no sound after AMD driver update.
Why is that? Well unfortunately there are several different factors that can cause this error. Thus, there isn’t just one solution to this problem. So, we compiled a list of fixes that will hopefully allow you to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. This list will make it far more convenient for you to find solutions that work! In fact, you can find many other solutions for other computer-related issues on our website.
Now there are two types of solutions listed in this article. The first type are general fixes. The average computer user should already have the know how to perform these fixes. Therefore, I won’t go into much details on how to perform the fixes. The second type of fixes are more specific. I will go into more details with these “no sound after amd driver update” fixes.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
Fix sound issues after AMD driver update
1. General Fixes
- Update Windows: Okay, so this one is almost a no brainer, yet most people forget about it. There is also the fact that Windows tends to update automatically. Yet, I’ve personally used this fix and it has resolved many of my issues. Seeing if there are any updates also only take a few seconds. Simply open Windows Menu and search: check for updates. The rest pretty much explains itself.
- SFC Scan: So this fix isn’t as well known, but it is still pretty common. Basically a SFC scan will scan (surprising right?) your system files for anything that is corrupted. Windows will also replace the corrupted files if they find any. You don’t have to download any third party programs, but they have been known to help. To perform this fix on Windows built in System checker open Command Prompt. You can find this by searching for it in the Windows menu. Also, don’t forget to Run it in administrator. Once you’re inside the Command Prompt Window type in sfc /scannow.
- Virus Scan: A malware could be corrupting your system files that are related to the problem. Solution? Search and destroy. Use an anti-virus program for best results.
Check Out: Fix: Lenovo N700 driver error on Windows 10
2. Specific Fixes
You should try these specific fixes after you’ve tried the general fixes above.
Sometimes when you update a driver, settings can be reset or changed. A possible cause of this problem is actually very simple. Your audio device might not be selected. The reason behind this is that most AMD GPU has their own audio. If you update your driver, then Windows might have automatically selected it. How do you change it back?
- It is very simple, first open Control Panel.
- Next click on the Hardware and Sound section, then click on the sound section.
- In this window, locate the device that you are using to listen audio and enable it.
- Check out the picture below for reference. Note that you might have to disable the AMD audio device.
- ALSO READ: Fix: I Cannot Open any Apps After Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Update
Chances are that your drivers were improperly updated. Therefore, uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers could do the trick.
- To do this you will need to first download the correct driver for your specific AMD GPU (It is recommended to manually select your driver.
- Next download Display Driver Uninstaller or DDU.
- Disable all of your antivirus programs.
- Delete all of the files in your AMD folder. This folder is typically found on C:/AMD
- Windows 10 users should disable “Windows Automatic Update”.
- Next, uninstall the AMD driver. You will need to visit control panel again. The simplest way to do this is type in control panel in the Windows search menu (Windows Key + S).
- Once you are in the control panel window, click on the Programs section. After that click on uninstall programs.
- You will then need to find AMD software and right click on it to uninstall.
- Reboot your computer. Make sure boots up in Safe Mode.
- Once your computer reboots in safe mode run DDU that you previously downloaded. This will allow you to easily reinstall your AMD drivers.
Having no sound after AMD driver update can be seriously frustrating. Especially since there isn’t just one possible solution to the problem. We know that this sort of thing is annoying so we try to make things easier for you by putting all of the common solutions in one article. If you have any questions, fixes, etc, feel free to comment!