Oculus updates its SDK for Windows devs with DirectX12 support
Recently, Oculus started shipping its first set of Oculus Rift orders to consumers, a move that will jumpstart the virtual reality market. Facebook’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg also announced a wide range of games will be available on launch or soon after, with even more in development.
Those interested in taking part of this exciting new industry can use the Oculus SDK to build games for the Rift, with the company recently updating the SDK with new features for those interested in developing virtual reality games.
The most recent version of the Oculus PC SDK comes with many new features, including support for the consumer version of the Rift, app lifecycle support, native integrations with the latest releases of Unity and Unreal Engine, and Asynchronous Timewarp (ATW). Here are all the new features:
- Added Asynchronous TimeWarp (ATW). For more information, see Asynchronous TimeWarp.
- Added features for VR focus management, which helps you smoothly transition users between your game or experience and Oculus Home. For more information, see VR Focus Management.
- Updated queue ahead to be adaptive. Queue ahead previously processed frames 2.8 milliseconds in advance to improve CPU and GPU parallelism. Adaptive queue ahead works similarly, but automatically adjusts the start time from 0 to -1 frame (depending on the current performance).
- Added the performance indicator, which displays when the application is slow or not maintaining frame rate. For more information, see Performance Indicator
- Added the Oculus Compositor performance HUD (ovrPerfHud_CompRenderTiming) and renamed the application performance HUD (ovrPerfHud_RenderTiming) to ovrPerfHud_CompRenderTiming.
- Support for DirectX 12 (DX12).
Oculus also released the Platform SDK 1.0, allowing developers to add features like leaderboards, multiplayer matchmaking, and peer-to-peer networking to your games and apps.
The latest Windows 10 builds added some handy notification management options for individual apps. As we previously reported, this build brings a number of exciting […]
Windows 10 users often experience error message Your system doesn’t meet the requirements to run Firefox. This error has been reported to pop up even […]
Microsoft recently filed a patent that revealed more information about the next-generation Surface Pen. Microsoft named the patent as Flexible Carpenter’s Stylus with Dockable Earpiece. […]