- qBittorrent is a popular torrenting client used all over the world. However, certain users report that sometimes qBittorrent refuses to work with certain VPN clients.
- If you're in the situation briefly described above, check out our guide and learn how you could bypass this limitation and keep using qBittorrent through VPN.
- Check out our VPN Troubleshooting section to discover more intuitive VPN tutorials.
- Visit our Torrenting Hub for more torrenting-related guides and reviews.
qBittorrent is a popular torrenting client, but torrenting is unfortunately associated with unlawful behavior.
With that in mind, it’s easy to understand why many torrenting adepts have decided to run torrenting clients through VPN services.
While using VPNs is an effective way to hide torrenting activities, sometimes it doesn’t work as intended (or at all).
For instance, users have discovered that qBittorrent doesn’t work with VPN every time.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
How do I fix qBittorrent not working with VPNs?
Trustworthy VPN services
- Purchase a premium VPN subscription (we recommend PIA)
- Download the VPN client
- Install the VPN on your device
- Launch the VPN client
- Log into your account
- Connect to a P2P-optimized server
- Launch qBittorrent
Certain VPN services have no support for P2P/torrenting operations and might block this type of activity on their servers.
Much like your ISP, your VPN can detect and block certain activities on your connection without necessarily logging data.
To avoid that, you need to make sure that your VPN client supports P2P/torrenting activities and/or has dedicated servers for that.
Private Internet Access, for instance, lets you use qBittorrent on any of its servers.
Private Internet Access
Do you want a VPN that works with qBittorrent? Why not try PIA?
If you want to discover more alternatives that work with qBittorrent, check out our best qBittorrent VPNs.
VPN traffic detection can be a reason why qBittorrent decides to stop working through VPNs.
For that reason, a wise thing to do would be to invest in an obfuscation-ready VPN.
Services with obfuscation features can help you disguise VPN traffic to make it appear like regular traffic.
That way, you can avoid any VPN-related blocks, including geo-restrictions or VPN traffic limitations.
Check out a list of our best VPNs with obfuscation (stealth VPN) support:
|Product Name||Obfuscation||Company Name|
|NordVPN||Obfuscated Servers||Tefincom & Co., S.A.|
|Surfshark VPN||Camouflage Mode||Surfshark LTD|
|VyprVPN||Chameleon protocol||Golden Frog GmbH|
|IPVanish||Scramble OpenVPN traffic||StackPath, LLC|
|ExpressVPN||Stealth servers||Express VPN International Ltd.|
|TunnelBear||Stealth VPN||McAfee, LLC|
|Windscribe VPN||Stealth VPN||Windscribe Limited|
|VPN Unlimited||KeepSolid Wise||KeepSolid Inc.|
Although certain VPN providers boast P2P/torrenting support, it may not work on all servers.
In fact, some providers specifically mark P2P-optimized servers by adding them to special categories.
If that’s the case, try connecting to a P2P server before launching qBittorrent.
Not only do P2P servers benefit from official acknowledgment, but they might also have larger or unlimited speed caps.
Disable IPv6 support
Although modern systems claim that they’ve fully embraced IPv6, not all VPNs can successfully protect against IPv6 leaks (if the feature is active on your device).
As a result, you may be leaking IPv6 traffic, which can make it extremely easy for your ISP to block torrenting traffic on your connection.
For that reason, you should try disabling IPv6 altogether on your PC, connect to your VPN, launch qBittorrent, and see if there’s any improvement.
Flush your DNS
- Launch CMD on your Windows PC
- Type the following commands:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your PC
Usually cached data can mess up your connection in various ways, such as restricting qBittorrent traffic.
Thus, clearing the cache (flushing your DNS) should give you a fresh start and help you get rid of old, outdated data that might limit your connection.
- Check if qBittorrent is up-to-date
- Reboot your computer
- Restart the qBittorrent client
- Enable the VPN kill switch
- Restart your router and/or modem
- Switch to a different VPN server
- Use Shadowsocks or SOCKS5 proxy if your VPN supports it
All things considered, if qBittorrent is not working with your VPN, you could try our suggestions before calling it quits.
On the other hand, our suggested fixes might not work all the time.
If you’re in this situation and nothing seems to work, do not shy away from asking your VPN provider (or ISP, for that matter) for a fix.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.