Windows Defender removes harassing PC optimizer software starting March 1
Many users have bumped into free software that scans their systems for all kinds of errors, and then they display various alarming messages in order to scare them into buying the premium version of that specific program that will save the day and fix the errors.
These apps and tools for cleaning or optimizing computers are causing problems because they are pressuring the users into purchasing programs that they would not really need.
Microsoft changes malware evaluation criteria
As a consequence of the problematic pushy software harassing users, Microsoft announced that it updated the malware evaluation criteria to include such programs. In other words, pushy software that displays pressuring messages will soon be classified as unwanted, and Microsoft’s Windows Defender Antivirus will remove them.
According to Microsoft, alarming messages and misleading content that pressure users into purchasing additional services will not be an issue anymore.
Goodbye scareware and other unwanted software
Here’s what the company means by these coercive messages:
- Reports errors displayed in an alarming way that asks users to pay for fixing errors
- Software that states that no other actions are able to correct reported errors
- Programs that require the users to act within a limited amount of time to get the error fixed
Microsoft’s security software will remove unwanted programs such as the ones mentioned above starting March 1. Developers will be able to validate the detection of their own software via the Windows Defender Security Intelligence portal.
The company also asks users to submit pushy software reports for evaluation as soon as they encountered such programs.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Kaspersky launches free antivirus in response to Windows Defender pressure
- Review: Bitdefender Total Security 2018, the best antivirus for your Windows PC
- Windows Defender warns users of multiple Trojan threats, other antivirus programs find nothing
It isn’t every day that you come across a corrupted memory dump file But when you do, you will rue your luck you did. That […]
In the last five years or so, the amount of video content uploaded to various social media networks has increased drastically. Everybody can launch their […]
There is often this rather frustrating error you might be faced with when trying to log in to a Virtual Private Network – that of […]