Skype Preview update brings hidden conversations, URI support and more
It’s not been long since the hot Skype update release for Android and iOS clients. Now Microsoft is releasing a Windows 10 Skype update to its UWP app on devices running the Windows 10 Anniversary update. The update puts many features to work that were added in the Skype app for Insiders in the past few weeks.
The app has been upgraded to version 11.8.190 and brings exciting news for non-Insiders, allowing them to finally test out the features that were previously available to Insiders only.
With the latest update, Skype Preview now supports Skype URIs, enabling users to launch Skype from external web apps. Now Microsoft allows users to hide specific conversations, so even if you can’t delete a conversation in your Skype Preview app, you can still hide it in your device. Then there is the enhanced loudspeaker functionality and a new add contact button – though you’ll still need a username.
But unexpectedly, the SMS relay functionality is yet to appear and is not included in the update. It is possible that Microsoft is further improvising its strategy to make the app reach a quality standard. For the time being, Windows Insiders who are still running the Preview version 11.8.192 can set the app as a default messaging app on their Windows 10 devices, including both mobile and PC. This feature is yet to be released for non-Insiders, which we expect to happen in the coming weeks.
The full changelog of the update is below:
- Clean up your recent list by hiding conversations.
- Hear people better with loudspeaker improvements.
- Easily add new contacts with the add contact button.
- Support for Skype URIs, a simple way for people to start Skype calls and chats directly from websites, desktop and mobile apps.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Skype Preview for Xbox One now available, you can’t download it yet
- Microsoft updates Skype app for Linux users
- Fix: Skype install errors 1603, 1618 and 1619 on Windows 10
If you find yourself seeing the error message Your password may have expired or the remote PC might not accept blank passwords, you came to […]