One of the prime elements of the Windows ecosystem for mobile devices, or at least the communications section, is Skype. The iconic service has made the transition to mobile nicely, as was expected due to the shift in tech popularity. Many now use Skype for mobile devices as much as they do its traditional desktop variant.
But there are also SMS messages that rely on each consumer’s carrier to deliver information to friends and family. Many would love the opportunity of putting down their phone for a minute and not have to worry about them, but this would mean missing out on some potentially important texts or having to delay replying to one. Now, Microsoft allows users to sync their phone’s SMS messages with Skype for Windows 10.
Syncing SMS messages is easy
- The way this is done is by configuring a Windows 10 Mobile device to recognize Skype as the primary messaging app installed. This will trigger a “set as default app” option to appear on the mobile device as well. Users need to use it and set Skype as the main app on mobile too.
- Users can set how much of the SMS history is synced at a time by accessing the SMS section under Settings on their computer.
- For all this to be possible, users need to install Skype Preview on their computers. It is important that the running app version of Skype Preview is at least 126.96.36.199. This will allow for all the necessary settings to be configured.
- There is also an option for downloading messages, which can be configured to “last month”, “last year” or “any time”.
SMS syncing is a very helpful feature that doesn’t require much work or time. The implementation of such a feature shows that Microsoft is all about the current trend of having all one’s devices synced and interconnected through various means.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft Skype and Volvo team up for better efficiency
- Microsoft Skype Room app now available on for the Surface Pro
- Skype was down worldwide, Microsoft didn’t hurry to fix the problem