Surface Book, Pro 4 Firmware Update Brings More Issues than it Solves
As always, whenever Microsoft releases a fresh update, be it for its Windows users or for owners of hardware products, it’s almost a given that there will appear various problems. Such is the case with the recent update released for the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4.
According to multiple reports that have been circulating online, the most recent November update actually brought more troubles for fresh owners of the Surface Book or the Surface Pro 4. The previous update that was released in the beginning of this month brought a fix for the problem of flickering screens.
Here are the new features and updates brought by the most recent System Firmware Update – 11/18/2015:
- Surface UEFI update (v88.870.770.0) improves system stability
- Surface Management Engine update (v184.108.40.2063) provides touch optimizations
- Precise Touch Device driver update (v220.127.116.11) provides touch optimizations
- Management Engine Interface driver update (v18.104.22.1682) provides touch optimizations
- Surface Touch Servicing ML driver update (v22.214.171.124) provides touch optimizations
- Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver update (v126.96.36.199) ensures correct Surface driver is installed
All nice and neat, only if this particular update didn’t bring a long quite a lot of problems. Here are just a couple that we have managed to extract:
- Problems with the Hello camera:
After installing today’s update my Surface would not log me with the Hello camera was unresponsive. Since I could not log in with my camera I switched over to a password login with no issue. I then shut down apps and restarted my Surface Book. In doing so problem solved and the Hello camera works fine now.
I just downloaded and installed (through Windows Update) the 11/18 software and firmware updates. Upon restarting the system from the updates screen, Windows Hello came onto the screen but the camera did not come on. I had to log in by entering my Microsoft password. After a full shutdown and reboot, same behavior. The camera did not turn on.
- The freezing issue in the Surface Book hasn’t apparently been fixed for everybody:
It is a fix in CPU microcode that is put into the UEFI… Weeks and Weeks of finding a consistant repro and debugging in a lab to find the exact instruction that was causing it.. This will fix this issue for the majority of users… The microcode comes from Intel. We integrate it into UEFI. It is not a “workaround” it is a “fix”. It is not a “CPU” issue and it is important that you understand that. It is a CPU microcode issue and they are not the same.
What about you, what problems are you getting after this specific update? Sound off by leaving your comment below.
Microsoft recently rolled out the Windows 10 May 2019 Update to the general public. Speaking of new OS versions, the tech giant is planning to […]
If you’ve tried logging into Twitch and even though you managed to sign in, you couldn’t see the content of any channel that you’re following, […]
Some people encountered an issue with HP Audio Switch after installing the Windows 10 May Update. As one user describes the issue on the official […]