- Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is a shooter game you can play on Steam in co-op mode. It's one of the few high-quality free games on Steam that also works on older computers.
- If you typically lag while playing TF2, you can get a VPN solution to reduce the ping time and speed up your Internet connection. Find out the fastest VPNs for TF2 below.
- Check out our Gaming Hub to discover more awesome games.
- To find out what else you can do with a VPN, join our Gaming VPN center.
Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is a first-person shooter game that you can play on Steam for free in multiplayer mode. It’s one of the most popular games on Steam as well as one of the best games for low-spec laptops.
In TF2, you can choose from 9 character classes, each with unique strengths, weaknesses, and gear. As far as gaming modes are concerned, you can attack or defend control points, capture the flag, control a single point in king-of-the-hill mode, or push a cart and try to destroy the enemy base.
If you’re having connection issues when trying to play Team Fortress 2, such as lag and delays, you can repair them by getting equipped with a VPN that improves your ping.
Still, it can be challenging to find the fastest VPN app that works with TF2, but we’re here to help. Stick around if you’re also looking for a TF2 VPN to avoid bans on Steam. You can also use a VPN to fix TF2 packet loss.
What are the best VPNs to play Team Fortress 2?
Private Internet Access (PIA) is one of the fastest VPN apps ever made, ideal for speeding up your gameplay and reducing Team Fortress 2 lag. Created by Kape Technologies, PIA offers more than 3,200 servers in 46 countries.
You can use exclusive DNS servers, deactivate encryption mode if your VPN connection is not fast enough, and quickly connect to the nearest VPN server to get the best speed.
Here are the key features of PIA:
- Use static or dynamic IP addresses
- Encrypt your Internet connection with OpenVPN
- Remain anonymity thanks to a no-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
Private Internet AccessReduces ping and improves speed when you play Team Fortress 2 on Steam.
CyberGhost VPN is another VPN solution that deserves your attention. Also operated by Kape Technologies, CyberGhost frequently blows other VPN apps off the charts when it comes to connection speed.
Therefore, you can connect to a CyberGhost VPN and enjoy Team Fortress 2 lag-free. Besides, it’s one of the best VPNs for laptops.
Here are the key features of CyberGhost VPN:
- Over 6,400 servers in 89 countries
- Optimized VPN servers for torrenting and streaming
- Shields your DNS requests with DNS leak protection
- 45-day money-back guarantee (1-day free trial, no credit card)
CyberGhost VPNEnhance your Team Fortress 2 gaming experience by eliminating lag.
BullGuard VPN may not benefit from the same impressive network of servers as the other two VPN apps on this list, but it’s still one of the fastest VPNs to help you play Team Fortress 2, fix lag, and improve ping.
Made by BullGuard, this VPN tool can autodetect the closest VPN server to your location to increase your connection speed while protecting your privacy. Plus, it’s one of the best VPNs for Windows 8 and 8.1.
Here are the key features of BullGuard VPN:
- Over 2,000 VPN servers in 16 countries
- Allows up to 6 simultaneous connections
- No-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
BullGuard VPNDon't exit Team Fortress 2 due to high ping. Use this VPN app to eliminate it.
Without a doubt, Team Fortress 2 is one of the coolest free games you can play on Steam online. But, like any other multiplayer games, Team Fortress 2 fails to work properly every now and then. This also includes high ping that prevents you from having a smooth experience.
However, if you use one of the reliable VPN solutions we described above, you should reduce ping and speed up your Internet connection in no time. And, if you have any TF2 VPN problems, make sure to visit our VPN Troubleshooting Hub.
FAQ: Learn more about Team Fortress 2 and VPN
- How to host TF2 servers with a VPN?
You can use a VPN to host game servers for TF2. You just need a VPN app with native port forwarding, dedicated IP address, and low ping (Private Internet Access fits these requirements). But you can also use LAN emulators.
- Does using VPN get you banned in TF2?
It’s safe to use a VPN in TF2 (and generally in Steam games) if you want to improve your Internet speed. But if you want to break the Steam subscriber agreement, like using a VPN to get lower prices, you will likely get banned in Team Fortress 2.
- Can you play TF2 with a VPN?
Yes, you can play TF2 with a VPN to reduce ping and speed up your Internet connection.