Will Tencent bring a UWP QQ or WeChat app to Windows 10?
Microsoft has recently posted a series of slides from the WinHEC 2016 that highlights contradictory information about the future of the UWP QQ and WeChat app. While Tencent was supposed to develop the apps, it announced the deal was over earlier this year. The company justified its choice through the decline in Windows phone use.
After that event, no other information on the topic emerged up until now. Microsoft inserted an interesting slide in one of its presentations on Windows Ink, mentioning Tencent and its QQ app. Of course, this came as a surprise because everybody thought that the collaboration between the two companies had ended.
There can only be two explanations for the presence of that slide:
- The explanation users would like to hear: Tencent is indeed working on a UWP for its QQ or WeChat, but for some unknown reason, it does not want to confirm this publicly yet.
- The person who wrote the presentation simply forgot the deal was dead and used old slides/images for the presentation. This explanation may be a bit far-fetched because, obviously, presentations and the information provided are usually revised by somebody else.
The divorce between Microsoft and Tencent came after a fruitful collaboration that resulted in the Windows 10 WeChat app having launched at the beginning of 2015, with massive updates already having rolled out by the beginning of fal. Its new features included video calls, stickers, multiple chat windows, and message history, and is living proof of the collaboration between Microsoft and Tencent.
Actually, back then, we hinted at a possible WeChat UWP app version since the updates were not available on all platforms. For the time being, though, we only have questions left unanswered.
Why do you think Microsoft inserted that confusing slide in its presentation? Was a childish mistake or is there something with a deeper meaning?
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- GiffGaff UWP app for Windows 10 lands in the store, additional features to come soon
- Screenshots of upcoming Microsoft Health UWP App have already leaked out
- Windows 10 taskbar gets badge notifications for Universal apps
- Viber UWP App in the works for Windows 10, beta version to land soon
Live streaming is the hottest trend and a powerful streaming software makes the entire process a lot easier. A streaming software primarily helps you with […]
From the tail end of the 20th century, up to about a decade ago, CDs and DVDs constitute the major options for media storage. Today, […]