It’s that time of the year again! Microsoft has just released the third major update for Windows 10, the Creators Update. The new update brings a handful of new features and system improvements mainly aimed at creative users of Windows 10.
However, besides the new additions, it seems that early adopters of the Creators Update have to deal with certain issues, as well. One of the earliest Creators Update issues is an internet connection problem.
If you’re experiencing the same issue, keep reading this article as we’ve prepared a couple of possible solutions for you.
How to resolve connection issues in Windows 10 Creators Update
For starters, let’s check out external causes before we start with the device. Usually, connection issues are related to a router or modem. So, let’s try these steps and hopefully we can resolve this issue:
- Shut down your router or modem. Wait a minute and power it on.
- Try using a wired connection instead of a wireless one. Plug in your LAN cable and check for changes.
- Disable modem/router built-in firewall temporarily.
- If you are using a router, make sure there are no walls blocking your signal. Additionally, don’t place it near another device because that can interfere with the signal.
- Reset the modem/router to factory settings.
- On the router, disable WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) and try to connect by using standard methods.
- Check its cables and make sure everything is properly connected. If you’re not sure how to set it up, search online for support.
- Make sure to check router/modem for overheating. Place it far from temperature sources.
Now, let’s move down to system-related workarounds.
Use the Internet Connection troubleshooter
With the Creators Update, Microsoft got creative even with Troubleshooting. So now, you’ll be able to use one unified troubleshooting page for various issues. One of these is the Internet Connection Troubleshooter that you can use for connection-related issues. This is how to use it.
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Open Update & Security.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot.
- Click on the Internet Connection Troubleshooter.
- Wait for the procedure to finish and possibly resolve your issues.
This seems like an interesting addition. With the unified troubleshoot page, you’ll be able to easily reach individual tools without too much trouble.
Update network drivers
The router may function as intended but, without appropriate drivers, you’re most certainly going to have issues with the connection. Windows 10 is known for update issues provoked by forced driver updates. Namely, the ‘auto updating drivers’ feature is intended as a helpful innovation but too often provokes a lot of problems with different devices. And in this case, with network adapters. So, let’s check out drivers so we can move down with the workarounds:
- Right-click Start and open the Device Manager.
- Locate Network Adapters.
- Right-click your network adapters and click ‘Update driver software’. Make sure to do it with both LAN and WLAN adapters.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your PC and try connecting.
- However, if the problem is still there, go back to Device Manager > Network Adapters.
- Right-click network adapter and open Properties.
- In the driver tab, click Uninstall.
- Now, open Details tab and locate DriverIds in the drop-down list.
- Copy the first line and paste it into the browser.
- Find appropriate drivers provided by the official hardware manufacturer.
- Download and install those drivers for both LAN and WLAN respectively.
- Restart your PC and checkup the connection again.
Be aware that downloading and installing the wrong driver version can cause permanent damage to your PC, therefore use extra caution. We strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Once you’ve taken care of your drivers but the PC is still unable to connect to a network, you could try additional workarounds.
Reset TCP/IP stack
Another solution that proved helpful on various occasions is related to the TCP/IP stack. Namely, you can resolve any possible confusion within the system connection setup by resetting the TCP/IP stack. If you’re not accustomed to this procedure, follow the detailed explanation below.
- Right-click Start and run the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each one:
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
- netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
- netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
- Reboot your PC and try to connect. If the problem is still there, make sure to try out the remaining steps below.
Disable Windows Firewall temporarily
Disabling Windows Firewall is a highly risky deed but, on some occasions, this faithful protector of your system can block your network for no apparent reason. So, try and disable it temporarily and check for improvements. This is how you can disable your Windows Firewall:
- Open Control Panel.
- Open System and Security.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off from the left side.
- Turn off Windows Firewall for both Private and Public networks and confirm the selection.
- Try connecting.
In case that Windows Firewall isn’t the culprit for connection issues, make sure to enable it.
Disable Airplane mode
Moreover, you should check the Airplane mode. If you’ve accidentally enabled it, it will block any connections. Additionally, there’s a chance that the Creators Update enabled it on its own. These are the instructions to disable Airplane mode:
- You should find the Airplane mode icon in the Notification panel in the right corner of your desktop. However, if the icon is missing, there’s an alternative way to disable it.
- Open Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Click Airplane mode.
- Toggle Airplane mode off.
We certainly hope that you’ve managed to resolve them, with at least one of our workarounds. If you have any questions related to Creator Update, don’t refrain from asking below!
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT: