Why is the update process so important?
Keeping software solutions up to date on your PC, laptop or other devices will improve performance and security, giving you the chance to enjoy new features and additional protection layers for free.
There is no cost to update software already installed on your device, but the process itself might be long and tedious depending on the software system you want to update.
Keeping all your drivers up to date is essential for your computer to work properly. If a particular component of your computer is missing or has an outdated driver, various problems may occur. For example, if your graphics card is missing a driver, you’ll have display problems, if your sound card is missing a driver, you won’t hear any sound on your computer.
Keeping your drivers updated in Windows 10 is slightly harder than it used to be in previous versions of the OS. Find out here the full guide on how to update outdated drivers in Windows 10 and keep your system working flawlessly.
How to update drivers manually
Check for drivers updates in Windows Updates service
If you already know how to use Windows Update service, all you need to do is to regularly check for Windows updates and thus your drivers will be updated as well.
Use Device Manager
This is the most popular method to check for drivers updates in Windows 10. This Windows feature manages all the hardware in your computer, so updating drivers is possible for every single component of your machine.
Checking every single driver manually does take some time, but you can solve a lot of problems by doing that. Alternatively, you can choose an automatic option to update drivers (see below).
Update drivers from the manufacturer’s website
You can download drivers manually from the manufacturer’s website. Be cautious to only download from official sources and pay attention that installing a wrong driver version can cause permanent damage to your system.
Here are the official download links for the most common drivers used on Windows PC:
- NVIDIA driver updates
- AMD driver updates
- Intel driver updates
- HP driver updates
- Dell driver updates
- Lenovo driver updates
[STEP-BYSTEP GUIDE] How to: Update graphics driver on Windows 10
Automatically update drivers with a dedicated tool
Choosing a dedicated third-party tool allows you to automatically install the latest drivers on your Windows 10 PC without spending more than a minute. We have tested and reviewed the best driver updating software for Windows 10. Thus, we can recommend TweakBit Driver Updater as one of the most efficient.
TweakBit Driver Updater automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database. Drivers can then be updated in batches or one at a time, without requiring the user to make any complex decisions in the process. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here’s how to use this software:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
How to update system software
Update system software
When it comes to system software, you need to update as often as possible since updates focus on bug fixes and additional security. Therefore, an updated system will perform better and is protected from virus and malware exploit.
The most popular operating systems have an internal update service that will run automatically and notify you periodically for updates: Mac (Software Update) and Windows (Windows Update). You can also check for updates manually.
Follow these steps to update your system software on Windows PC:
- Open Settings App and go to Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update section and download the latest updates.
However, sometimes the Windows Update service can be disabled. To check the status, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. When Run dialog opens, enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- Locate Windows Update on the list of services. Make sure that Startup Type is set to Manual or Automatic.
- If it’s not, double-click the Windows Update service to open its properties.
- When Properties window opens, find the Startup Type section and select Manual or Automatic from the list.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Microsoft releases security updates every month – also called Patch Tuesday, and a feature update every 6 months with a different name each time. In order to get the latest feature update for Windows 10, read the Changelog regularly updated for our readers.
Update third-party software
There is a wide variety of third-party software that you will install on your device. Since each of them is made by different companies, the update services might vary. Although, you should always find a “Check for updates” option in the program’s menu. This option is usually set to automatically check for updates by default.